Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marrying a British citizen, what needs to be done?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by jenard, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jenard

jenard New Member

Hi all,

I'm a permanent resident of Canada but not a Canadian citizen. I'm currently in UK on a 6 months visit/tourist visa visiting my boyfriend who is a British citizen. A month ago my boyfriend proposed to me ( been here for 2 months now ) and we got officially engaged. We're planning to get married next year here in UK. But it's not easy said than done. We've learned that i have to go back to Canada to apply for a fiancee visa, come back and get married here in UK. So, here are my questions:

(1) How long does the processing takes (really) to get a fiancee visa, is it 5 days or 12 weeks?
    (2) Say, i have my fiancee visa now, can we get married as soon as i arrive in UK? ( we're going to register the date for our marriage )
    (3) After we get married i have to apply for a marriage visa which permits me to stay for 2 years, do i have to go back to Canada to apply for this or the application can be done here in UK?
    (4) From these information that we know, is there anything else we need to know before getting married?

I really need some answers quickly and badly. Any help, info, advice will be much appreciated.

Thank You,
    Jenard

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    The time it takes to get a fiance visa depends on the country where you apply for it. In Canada I am sure its a lot faster but I guess not as fast as 5 days. You should provide a couple of weeks for it at least to be on the safe side.

Yes, you can 'give notice of marriage' in your local Registrar Office as soon as you arrive in UK on your fiance visa. It can't be however earlier than 16 days.

No, you don't have to go back to Canada to apply for the 2 years spouse visa. You can do it from within the UK.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

3. gj_1980uk

gj_1980uk New Member

Hi,

My Fiance is American and applied for her visa at the LAS embassy. She sent all the paperwork on the 8th of October and got an email the same friday (11th October) saying the visa was approved. She got it on Monday.
    I think as long as you have all the correct documents it shouldn't take too long.

4. marieh72

marieh72 Member

You CANT switch from a visitor visa to another type of visa within the uk... You need to go back to Canada and apply for a leave to enter (Spouse visa INF4-settlement). Im in the same situation and beleive me, immigration agents at the port of entry gave me hard time about that.