Forum Saudi Arabia

Forum of expats in Saudi Arabia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Life in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by ferdi, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ferdi

ferdi New Member

Hi all/admin,

I would like to ask you questions about life in Saudi Arabia particularly in Dhahran. I've job proposal for Geophysicist, and still think about that proposal...

Please your kind info.

Cheeers,
    Ferdi

2. am1n-0s

am1n-0s Member

Very hard to have a life in arabi saoudite !:

3. geonline

geonline Well-Known Member

City:
    Cairo
    Living In:
    Egypt
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hello Ferdi,

I'm working now in Saudi since few weeks and during few more. I am in Jeddah, that they said is one of the more pleasant place in KSA. I know quite well Gulf Area as I lived in UAE and Qatar last year.

So what i could say about KSA is that the life conditions will depend on some aspects:
    If you are muslim i guess it would be easier for you to live in Saudi.
    The way your are located will make easier or not your stay. As far as I know, if you are living in a nice compound, you can have a pleasant life, make easily friends etc. Generally all facilities are present inside (for foods, leisure etc).
    If you are living in a flat, maybe it will be more boring.

In the cities, you will not find any places to go out excepted restaurants and stores... So depends really about your tastes, what u like to do usually etc.

Also the citites are different, Riyadh is considered more conservative than Jeddah for example.

Before coming, i was little afraid not by "a borying life" , but more about safety. Well i was wrong, in Jeddah there's no problem (at this time), I mean i'm feeling safe in the city or anywhere. The few saudi i am in contact with are usually rather friendly. Police and army are present (this is normal) but it's not shocking, or disturbing.

One thing, if you are used to drive in some areas like Gulf, Egypt etc, take care on the road, they have rather a dynamic driving way here...

Hope it will help you,
    we can continue by PM if you need more details. Also I would have some questions about your job, as I know this field ;)

Cheers,

4. sylvainbutaux

sylvainbutaux New Member

RIAD

I must move to riad to work for building company. How is life there?