Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Leave to Remain

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by peteblue, Apr 30, 2010.

1. peteblue

peteblue Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi

I am a British citizen with a Chinese wife who has just had a Indefinite leave to Remain status in the UK granted. The thing is we would like to go on holiday to Spain together in 3 weeks for my brothers wedding, would she need a visa to visit spain or could she enter and exit spain on her chinese passport as she is now a resident of the UK. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Pete.

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Theoratically she doesn't if she is travelling together with you and you are armed with your marriage certificate but.........practically you can well be stopped either at the airport on arrival and even at check-in before departure. You can show your marriage certificate and a printed copy of the EU directive on free movement of family members plus be ready to be stopped for hours and argue with officials. In simple words, you will have to convince the check-in staff in UK and/or the immigration officials in Spain that she doesn't need a visa when they think she does because they are not aware of her right to free travel.

If you are ready for that, then go ahead otherwise get a schengen visa. I would go for the latter if I were you !

Good luck