Forum Immigration France

Community of expats Immigration France: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

Journée Défense et Citoyenneté confusion...

Forum General French immigration issues, visa, citizenship, marriage and dual nationality discussions.: General French immigration issues, visa, citizenship, marriage and dual nationality discussions.

Journée Défense et Citoyenneté confusion...

Postby ChantalD » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Hello
My son received a letter from the NY French Consulate regarding the JDC (he turned 16 recently and is registered at the consulate and holds US and French passports).
As I understand the letter, there isn't a meeting and the certificate they included is his proof of participation (or lack of due to there not being a local group..?) and is valid for 5 years.
My confusion arises from the statement that if he visits France before his 25th birthday he needs to register there?
So if we vacation in France he must register once he arrives? Can someone clarify?

thanks!

ChantalD
Backpacker
Backpacker

Nationality: United States (us)
Living in: Usa
Languages: english

Re: Journée Défense et Citoyenneté confusion...

Postby Cyrilexpat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 am

Hello,
I don't think it includes vacation. That's probably if he intends to stay and live in France for a bit... :?
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)

Postby ChantalD » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 am

this is the part that I think says there isn't a local meeting and the certificate is in lieu of attendance..

Avant la date de leur dix-huitième anniversaire, il est prévu que les jeunes sure le territoire national participant à une Journée Défense et Citoyenneté. En l’absence de JDC organisée dans la circonscription consulaire de New York (NY,NJ,CT) les jeunes concernés reçoivent une attestation provisoire d’une validité de cinq ans, jointe à ce courrier, qui se substitut à l’attestation de participation à la JDC

Si vous séjournez en France avant l’age do 25 ans, vous devrez vous signaler auprès du Centre du Service National de Perpignan afin de régulariser votre situation

À l’age de 25 ans, vous serez libéré de tout obligation vis-avis du Service national.

Vous trouverez donc c-joint une attestation de recensement et une attestation provisoire de participation à la JDC

Ne pouvant en délivrer copie. Nous vous invitons à les conserver soigneusement car ces documents pourront vous être réclamés à tout moment, notamment pour vous présenter à un examen ou à un concours organisé par l’administration française

Veuilles agréer Monsieur, l’expression de ma considération distinguée

ChantalD
Backpacker
Backpacker

Postby Cyrilexpat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am

As I said, that's not about vacations for a short period of time. However if you settle in France, and you register with the local authorities, then your son will have to do the JDC.
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)

Postby ChantalD » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 pm

thank you!! I thought so but wanted to make sure just to be safe

ChantalD
Backpacker
Backpacker