Forum Los Angeles

Forum of expats in Los Angeles: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN International school in West/North LA

Discussion in 'Los Angeles' started by mande02, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mande02

mande02 New Member

City:
    Stuttgart
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    Dutch (NL)
    Languages:
    German, Dutch, English
    Hi,

we are a german/dutch family planning to relocate to West/North LA with a 5 and 7 year old who are both fluent in German and English. We are flexible with where to live.

Are there any recommendations for an international school in the area? We are gratefull for any recommendations!

Thanks, Patrick

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    A good place to start when looking for information is our Guide to LA. It provdes info on all aspects fo yoru move, including information on the school system and International Schools. A school that might fit what you are looking for is Goethe International Charter School - http://www.goethecharterschool.org/
    12500 Braddock Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90066
    Phone: (310) 306-3484

I would also recommend GreatSchools.org that offers rating and comparison of schools. Our article, "How to find the Right International School", can also help you identify the right school for you.

You can contact expats in the area directly through the expat network (once you've made a few posts to prevent spam) & I also recommend expat blogs in California like Defining Moves.

Let us know what you find so other expats can follow your lead!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mande02

mande02 New Member

City:
    Stuttgart
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    Dutch (NL)
    Languages:
    German, Dutch, English
    Thanks! I looked at the Goethe School and it seems to be rather new and I am a bit confused about what 'charter' means. They seem not to charge tuition and there is a lottery to get accepted? Is that a good or bad thing?

Thanks, Patrick

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I checked out the school on on the rating site I recommended, GreatSchools, and there are a lot of reviews: http://www.greatschools.org/california/ ... er-School/ It offers really honest reviews from parents.

Sorry I don't have any personal insight into this, but hopefully these reviews will help. Another idea is to consult with the German or Dutch embassies for recommendations. Anyone else have any experience with this school or schools in the area?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...