Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Insurance Number for EEU Civil Partner

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by jsdKoeln, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jsdKoeln

jsdKoeln Member

City:
    Koeln
    I have a reverse problem.

I am a US Citizen civilly partnered to an EEU citizen (he is a German national). I have been offered employment by a company in London and will go in on a work visa provided by the company, not a family permit.

I realize my partner, being an EEU national, can freely come to London and seek employment. But, my question concerns the issue of getting the national insurance number for him. Will the fact that we are legally enjoined and I am working there (he will also have the benefit of private health insurance from my employer) make it easier for him to get an insurance number?

He wanted to take a couple of months and make some contacts before really seeking employment. I will make enough to support us both.

Would we need to purchase insurance from Germany to carry him over until he is employed?

Any advice on this would deeply appreciated!

Thanks.

2. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    If you mean health insurance, I don't think that is a problem. You don't need an insurance number to be covered by the NHS, all you need is the intend to stay for more than 6 months.

No. You get an insurance number when you start employment. For European citizens that is rather easy, while non-Europeans have to go through a few more checks.