Forum Los Angeles

Community of expats Los Angeles: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

Information for L.A.

Forum لوس انجليس, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Λος Άντζελες, ロサンゼルス, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Лос-Анджелес, 洛杉矶, 洛杉磯: لوس انجليس, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Λος Άντζελες, ロサンゼルス, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Лос-Анджелес, 洛杉矶, 洛杉磯

Information for L.A.

Postby scayetanot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi,

I'm living in France but just got a contract for US in Los Angeles.

I would like to have some information on the best place to rent a house around LA and if there is some french school. I'm married and 2 kids.

Is there any advices related to the salary range I should accept ? Regarding my job/experience it should be around $100K

Many thanks

scayetanot

City: Los Angeles
Nationality: France (fr)
Living in: Usa
Languages: English, Français

Re: Information for L.A.

Postby Cyrilexpat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 pm

An old post here but some people requested recently similar information.

First of all you should read our guide for expatriation to Los Angeles? You will find tips about everyday life in L.A. including a section about accommodation with article on where to leave in L.A. and renting.

We have also articles about schools with some French and international schools in Los Angeles.

You can meet other French through the network of French expatriates in L.A.. As a new member you won't be able to contact them directly at first, but I encourage you to just comment and post in the topics they participated in and you can arrange meetings :-)

Last but not least, you can also read expat blogs where French expats in L.A. will talk about their experience.

I assume that scayetanot is in the US now. How is life? What happens? Can you share your experience? :thumbup:
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)

Re: Information for L.A.

Postby texkourgan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 am

I've been to LA several times & it is a very interesting place with lots to do. As to where to live, the guide to LA covers this information pretty well:

For a very brief overview of some areas of LA with their pros and cons:

Beverly Hills- the ritziest neighborhood with the most famous address (90210), it is mostly inhabited by real life movie stars and millionaires with most of the homes guarded by walls and security

Brentwood- This neighborhoods central location makes a bit expensive

Fairfax- Jewish Quarter and has historic "Kosher Canyon Farmer's Market"

Griffith Park - One of the biggest city parks of the nation, lies east toward the mountains and offers the Zoo and Griffith Observatory

Pasadena - This area is a bit warmer, but farther east out of town. The 1st highway in California was built here in 1940.

San Fernando Valley - Commonly called "the Valley", the area is actually made up of some smaller cities such as Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Reseda, Tarzana, Van Nuys, Northridge, Granada Hills, Thousand Oaks, and Woodland Hills. Most places are fairly pretty, very safe, and rent is cheaper then most other areas. The downside is that the temperatures can get much higher then closer to the beach and without transportation life in the Valley can be a bit slow.

Santa Monica - To be in this beautiful and touristy area you must pay higher prices

South Central - A diverse area originally filled by the black community, it is now 70% Latino

West Hollywood - Currently the hip/trendy/gay area, but prices remain reasonable

Westwood - UCLA's location within the district mean many college-age residents with decent housing and living costs

I hope that helps you get a feel for the neighborhoods. Good luck!
texkourgan

Back in Berlin!

City: Berlin
Nationality: United States (us)
Living in: Germany
Languages: English, a little Deutsch