Forum Shanghai

Forum of expats in Shanghai: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Healthcare: Medical Treatment in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Shanghai' started by texkourgan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello,

How do you get medical treatment in Shanghai when you need it? Is care similar, or very different from where you are from?

Do you need to register with a local doctor (GP)? Can you make an appointment quickly? How long before you can see a doctor?

What is the cost (drugs, treatment, reimbursement…)?

Where do you buy your medicine in Shanghai? Are pharmacies all the same? Are most drugs over-the-counter, or prescription? Are there some prescriptions that hard to find?

How does the hospital system work? What are the main differences between private and public care? Do you need/recommend private health insurance in Shanghai?

Please share your experiences so new/future expats can prepare. Thanks in advance for you tips and advice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Anne123

Anne123 Member

City:
    Hoston
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I used to go to the public hospital in Shanghai. I wait and wait, sweating in long...But recently, I find a hospital called Shanghai United Family Hospital(Located in Changning District in Shanghai).The moment I set foot in this clinic, I felt comfortable, the professional treatment I got did enhance this feeling, I got a detailed explanation to my case with a comprehensive treatment overview.
    Appointment precision is another thing that I appreciate, reminders is sent to your email plus texting messages, no extra waiting has experienced.
    Most important, all doctors and nurses can speak English there. Many thanks to Dr. MENG (Consultant Cardiologist) for the treatment I got and that's a testimony from a person who had bad experiences from another professionals in this domain and considered by other people as a very picky person!
    I will buy medicine in SH United Family Hospital because you will get your own prescriptions from the doctors there. In Shanghai, there are different kinds of pharmacies. And the prices are also various. So if necessary, you can shop around more.