Forum Serbia

Forum of expats in Serbia: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Healthcare: Medical Treatment in Serbia

Discussion in 'Serbia' started by texkourgan, Jul 22, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello,

How do you get medical treatment in Serbia when you need it? Is care similar, or very different from where you are from?

Do you need to register with a local doctor (GP)? Is it easy and quick when you need to see a doctor?

What is the cost (drugs, treatment, reimbursement…)? Is there a long delay?

Where do you buy your medicine in Serbia ? Are pharmacies all the same? Are most drugs over-the-counter, or prescription?

How does the hospital system work? What are the main differences between private and public care? Do you need/do you recommend private health insurance in Serbia ?

Please share your experiences so new/future expats can prepare. Thanks in advance for you tips and advice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Predrag

Predrag New Member

Living In:
    Serbia
    Nationality:
    Serbian (RS)
    Languages:
    English, Serbian
    I can give you my take from my personal experience here in Belgrade. Short story: public care is bad, private—surprisingly good.

I live in the US and my experience with the Serbian health care so far has been good with the private and not so good with the public care. I use private for my wife and public for my mother. Big difference in every respect.

Yes for the public health care, NO for the private. We walked into a private hospital and got the treatment within 30 minutes, although they claim that appointments are needed.
    Private labs are available (some are open 24 hours a day) we got the blood results within 3 hours (emailed to us). Paperwork is almost nonexistent as compare with the US.

The cost are considerably lower than in the US. There are reimbursements would depend on your insurance I was told, I payed for visits my self so I can not tell you about the reimbursements from the personal experience. Pharmacies are all over the place, we were able to purchase drugs without prescriptions, we just showed the an empty box of the medication and they did not make a fuss.

There was really no delay to speak of in the private hospital, I can't tell you if this is the case for all procedures (huge difference there as compared with the US). Lot's of delays and BS in the public hospitals but I guess in line with other countries public health care.

I think I answered some of this above. I am not familiar with the private health care insurance in Serbia, I can look into it if you need me to but I think you would be better of paying cash or with your foreign health insurance, just make sure they will take it here before you commit.

Hope this help and good luck!

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Wow, thanks a lot. It will help a lot others moving to Serbia and worrying about the healthcare system. :clap:

Just in case you can share a bit more your knowledge on Serbia, we've posted a series of other topics to help the move to Serbia. Maybe you can help in answering some ? :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...