Forum Travel

Forum of expats Travel: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN GPS Navigation for travelling

Discussion in 'Travel' started by nocturnal, May 5, 2006.

1. nocturnal

nocturnal New Member

Hi all :)
    I just subscribed for navigation on my cell through Nav4All.com and it works amazingly. It is really useful for travelling around Europe and the subscribtion is free until August

2. jorge_k

jorge_k New Member

nav4all

yeah, i've been looking for some information about this program.. is it safe and how does it perform in comparison to othe mobile navigation softwares... i know another company called tomtom, but as far as i know it is only for cars and PDAs, is that right?

3. jamie80

jamie80 New Member

yeah that is right and al though they are great programs, they do the same as nav4all but than more expensive

4. bitter_sweet

bitter_sweet New Member

and what about the price?

ok ,it is free to install ,but about the price which you pay for using it ?I saw an ad of this software ,and it looked nice ,well obviously from what you guys say this is true.But what concerns me is the price which you pay for the internet connection and usage...

5. zania

zania New Member

i heard that the connection process is quite simple...you enter where it is u would like to go in the nav4all software..then the fone connects to the server..gets the right address and that is it..that is ur connection span..and thats what u wil be charged for ...it is really hand:)

6. wiosi

wiosi New Member

cool! i have seens so many posts about nav4all. where did u guys find this product?! but, hey i can't open the website!

7. anophelus

anophelus Member

It is installed right now on my phone Sony Ericsson k750i (actually was already installed for 2 weeks) and is working better than expected. Yesterday I received also my bluetooth GPS receiver and today I was playing with it.

- pretty self explanatory and easy to navigate menus
    - lots of features for a java application, including maps, easy to do pin-points, calculating routes between different points, voice guidance (54 languages!), posibility to choose the way you travel (walk, bicycle, car, etc), points of interest in area and more. There is also a Tracking & Tracing menu, but not working in this version.

Of course, being a java application you cannot store maps in phone memory, so the maps are downloaded via GPRS from internet, although the data trafic is insignificant (around or less than 50 KB for one hour of use). The good point of being java application is that can be installed on almost any phone that is java enabled, not like TomTom Mobile that needs a symbian operated phone.

Well, is my first navigation software and I am very satisfied with it. Hope this helpped you a litle.

PS: the regular price for GPRS connection is about 1 EUR / 1 MB of exchanged data. And here comes, one hour of navigation around 3-5 cents. With TomTom or Route66 you would skip downloading the maps from internet, but the price is... to much for me.

8. silvie_m

silvie_m New Member

anophelus ,and how many mbs is one big city map approximatelly ?
    thanks in advance:)

9. anophelus

anophelus Member

I don't hink it is appropriate to talk about a city map since nav4all is downloading only the portion of the map that you need. And you can zoom in & out (from all city or even country/continent to detailed small streets), but every zoom will be another map request. Anyway, I suppose that one map request is less than 1 kb of traffic.

And also the GPRS traffic depends strongly on the user style: driving or walking, using maps or only guidance (visual & vocal).

I'll give you one example: if you want to go from point A to point B the server will calculate the route and transfer it to your mobile. If you don't need to watch your position on the map that will be the only GPRS trafic you would need. If you are requesting maps, the mobile will donwload them every time your position is about to go out of the current map window. Also, if you are changing the route, the server will recalculate a new route to point B, synchronized with your actual position, and will send it to you mobile again.

Comming back to you question: is not possible to download a whole city map at detailed street level (well, unless the city is small enough to fit all streets in the map window of your mobile :) ) and zoom in-out in it.

10. bighearty

bighearty Member

Re: nav4all

TomTom has one for Cellphones(Mobile) it called TomTom mobile.

It is the greatest and reliable (in my opinon) GPS navigation I have seen.

You do not need subscription whatsoever. Just install the application on to your Symbian based (smartphone) Cellphone and buy a bluetooth GPS antena. for about GBP £35.00

you can check more info here
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=208&Language=1

Thanks

BigHearty

11. anophelus

anophelus Member

As you said, for Symbian phones ONLY! The Java based phones are out of question. And from where do you get bluetooth GPS with just 35 GBP?

And the TomTom application is another ~200 GBP and the maps covers only part of Western Europe. Want more maps? Pay more...

12. bitter_sweet

bitter_sweet New Member

anophelus, are u sure that java phones can`t use the software?I thought it was java based :confused:

13. anophelus

anophelus Member

I was talking about TomTom (this is for symbian only based phones). Nav4All is for java phones.

There is another Java based application, though not very sophisticated: gpswatch. In it is possible to load user maps (downloaded from google or yahoo maps), but does not have the function to calculate routes from point to point. And the application cost about 20 eur for pro version and 30 eur for premium version.

If somebody has experience with gpswatch I would be really interested to have more information about it.

14. bighearty

bighearty Member

Hello again my friend.

I totally disagree with you. On a long term base the cost is using sat nav with GPS is a lot cheaper than GPRS.
    Also Symbian phone has lot bigger screen than ordinary phones ( I do not mean those PDA style phones. which also more advance and have alot of features to keep you upgraded for the next 5 years. And the main thing is it still does all of your Java stuff

The mobile providers charge about £30/month for a decent use of GPRS(in my case) thats £360 a year.

You can buy a decent symbian phone for less than £200 like here http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=116751
    and software fot say about £180, thats £380 for life.

And if you know where to get a free TomTom then it is only the phone cost. And also if you know how to get cheap deals on Phones like those CASH BACK ones here in UK then I would say for about £150 you have Mobile Sat nav with evey country maps and a few extra baterie for your phone.

Also check which phones are competable with TomTom from the TomTom link below.

I would personally recenmond Nokia N73 with 3.2 MP camera(it is newest one so you might not found it in any list yet) http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n73-1550.php

Bluetooth gps antenna for About £40 inc dilevery from here.
    http://www.discountsatnav.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=4

it doesn't have to be TomTom but it is the best. click here for more info. TomTom software cost here for about £180 incl gps antenna.
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/7917.htm

Thanks

BigHearty

the link are just for information which I found randamly by searching Google while I was writing this post

15. anophelus

anophelus Member

It seems like you are missing the point: to find a software for Java based phones, not to change our phones to use a software! I won't change my modded walkman sony ericsson (which btw has a bigger screen resolution than most of nokia phones) for any nokia out on the market right now.

So, don't exhaust yourself making suggestions on how to get new gear. I already love what I have and I also love getting the most out of it.
    That's pretty expensive! If you would read my posts above you'll find my approximation for hourly use of nav4all: less than 10 euro-cents. And I don't use it often, only when I need it.

I won't make comments on this suggestion...

Yes, I used Tomtom, and I love the way it works. But the point is that I will not change my phone just to use it. And maybe out there are more like me.

Regards!

PS: another java application - gpswatch - lets you use your own maps downloaded for example from google maps or yahoo maps. The premium version of this soft costs 30 eur and there are cheaper versions also.

16. silvie_m

silvie_m New Member

gpswatch ... i haven`t heard anything about it.. is it better than nav4all ?

17. anophelus

anophelus Member

You can find more about gpswatch here.

It has pretty much all the functions a professional gps receiver would: display your position on a map, tracking & tracing, more... The good side of the software is that you can use your own maps (donwloaded or even scanned). But it won't calculate by itself a route (as nav4all or tomtom are doing).

18. silvie_m

silvie_m New Member

by the way, does anyone of you guys know the monthly fee which will be charged after the download of nav4all becomes paid? i tried to find this info everywhere but i couldn`t..