Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Post brexit, right to stay

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by Mary55, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Mary55

Mary55 New Member

Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English french
    Hi,
    With a view of wanting to remain living in France post brexit I would like advice on the best option.
    We have been living in France since 1987, my husband working in France until 2007, then worked in Belgium for 10years (which has a tax agreement with France) and since nov 2016 in Germany. During this period we have kept our home in France as our main residence and pay taxes here although income tax is paid in Germany at the moment. my husband retires 2020 and we wish o return to France for our retirement.
    My question is can you apply for citizenship or a residence visa if you are not physically present in the country for the majority of the year ( we do return for approx 2-3 months annually), does paying property taxes qualify?
    Thank you for any information and advice you can give.

2. civilguillaume

civilguillaume New Member

City:
    Sliema
    Living In:
    Malta
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    french, english, italian
    Brexit is supposed to be released in March 2019, and people under the current proposals are supposed to have 2 more years, so until 2021. I guess that you and your husband will have time to apply for the french citizenship after that ! :)

Also, you can ask in the embassy or consulate for the visa i think ... But I'm not sure, just saying !

Have a good day !