Forum Berlin

Forum of expats in Berlin: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Expat wannabe in Berlin is seeking your friendly advice

Discussion in 'Berlin' started by Boris Rudnik, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Boris Rudnik

Boris Rudnik New Member

Living In:
    Israel
    Nationality:
    Israeli (IL)
    Languages:
    English, Русский, עברית
    Hello,

My name is Boris, and I'm married with 2 children. Born in Estonia, for the last 20 years I live, learn. and work in Israel.

I'm considering relocation to Germany, and particularly to Berlin, with my family.

I'm looking forward to meet an expat couple with kindergarten-age kid(s) who are living in Berlin for a couple of years. Who already feel at home, but still has a fresh memories of relocation ups and downs. People, who originally did not speak German. Preferably, employed or entrepreneurial in the Hi-Tech industry.

I'll be visiting Berlin on April 1 till 5 (2012). If you are ready to share your experiences, I'll be glad to meet and chat during my stay. Please contact me through this forum, or better send me an e-mail to boris.rudnik@gmail.com.

Thank you,
    Boris

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Welcome to EasyExpat! :D

As a current expat in Berlin, I can highly recommend the city. I live here with my husband who is a teacher at a kita (kindergarten). I am learning German while he is quite fluent. Berlin makes it easy to get around without German as almost everyone can speak some English, but it is of course in your best interest to learn the language as soon as possible.

Main positives:
    Low cost of living
    Great history, culture, stuff to do
    Big & active expat community
    Haven for new business and start- ups

Negative:
    large amount of unemployment

The positives (for me) far outweigh the negatives and the unemployment is a bit misleading. Where it can be difficult to find a job as a non-EU member, this is a great place to start a business of your own. The city is earning a reputation as a fantastic place for start-ups including the nickname "Silicon Allee" (see here: http://siliconallee.com/ & http://www.spiegel.de/international/bus ... 97,00.html).

Please feel free to check out my personal blog, Back to Berlin...and Beyond!, as well as the other blogs listed on BlogExpat for Berlin. There are a bunch of really great expat bloggers here that are also very active on Twitter.

In addition, we recently added a guide to Berlin that covers all aspects of a move to the city for an expat.

Please feel free to ask me any specific questions and best of luck with your move!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Boris Rudnik

Boris Rudnik New Member

Living In:
    Israel
    Nationality:
    Israeli (IL)
    Languages:
    English, Русский, עברית
    Hi, :)

Thank you for a detailed reply and all the references - I'm going through them right now...

Boris

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello again!
    I was checking on your status. Have you decided to move to Berlin? Do you have an more questions about the city or becoming en expat?

Hope all is well! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Boris Rudnik

Boris Rudnik New Member

Living In:
    Israel
    Nationality:
    Israeli (IL)
    Languages:
    English, Русский, עברית
    Hi there :D

Thank you for keeping track.

I've been to Berlin with my wife and we liked it pretty much. So Berlin is definately a valid and desirable destination for us and our family. Currently I work on an intersting project, getting valuable experience. I believe that I'll start looking for a position in western Europe, including Berlin, by the beginning of the next year.

Once things will take concrete shape, I'll definately will turn to this valuable forum for adwise and assistance.

Thank you,
    Boris