Forum Dublin

Forum of expats in Dublin: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ FR Dublin-infos please

Discussion in 'Dublin' started by Aloort, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Aloort

Aloort New Member

Hi everyone,

We (me and my wife & a baby boy) live in Montréal for now. In a few months we’ll move to Dublin, Ireland. I will start a job for about 30K per year. For the first few years (1, 2 we don’t know yet) my wife we’ll stay at home, so we’ll only have my income.
    For that matter I’ll have a few questions regarding the living costs in Dublin:

1. Do you think that that salary will be sufficient for the three of us (for a few years)?
    (We are not great spenders, we don’t go to restaurants and we can use the public transport with no problem.)

2. Which part of Dublin (city or county) will be safe and will also offer a rent under 900 Euros (for a 2 bedrooms apt.)? I’m really mixed with Dublin 1, 2,…8.
    The best for us will be something close to the public transport (I wouldn’t mind 1 hour commute each way- I will work for St.James Hospital-if this is helpful for some suggestions).

Thanks to all of you for reading and maybe answering.

Cheers, Aloort

2. mrodrigu

mrodrigu New Member

City:
    Washington DC
    Dublin

Hi Aloort,

Dublin is EXPENSIVE.

It should be possible for you to support your family on 30k in Dublin, but it make take some sacrifices, depending on your lifestyle.

The area around St. Jame's Hospital -dublin 8- is arguably not the best in Dublin, but even there a two bedroom apartment/house will not come cheap, probably starting at 1,200-1,400 EUR.

In my opinion 2 bedrooms for less than that is v. hard to find, even commuting 1hr out of town. (With traffic these days 1hr commute may only get you 10 miles away from town!)

Add to that the cost of public transport, utilities, and food and you are talking a lot of money. Sorry if this all sounds very negative, but it is based on my experience of living 5 years in Dublin!

Have a look on www.daft.ie for an idea of the cost of housing.

And here is a map of the dublin postal area codes:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... blinPC.svg

Good luck!

Mig.

3. Aloort

Aloort New Member

Thanks. I'll try my best.
    Cheers.
    Aloort

4. dub1

dub1 New Member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English Spanish
    Hi Aloort,
    Interested to hear how you got on in Dublin.
    Hope we treated you well!
    Brian (Dublin Visitors - http://www.dublin1.webs.com)