Forum Departure

Forum of expats Departure: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Driving German car in UK

Discussion in 'Departure' started by Chris and Frisbee, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Chris and Frisbee

Chris and Frisbee New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    english german spanish french italian
    i hope you can help. my german car insurance allows me to drive my car in the UK indefinitely, even though my permanent residence is officially still in Germany (i haven't deregistered myself there yet). As the deal is much better than anything I could get in the UK (it includes an unlimited ! number of other drivers, who do not need to be named on the insurance document), I would like to keep this insurance, as well as the German registration, and continue driving with German number plates.

Now someone posted earlier in a different forum that 'eventually you will have to register it in the UK'. - What would be the reasons for this? is it illegal in the UK to drive with German number plates and a German insurance after a certain time? :?:

many thanks for your help,
    Chris and Frisbee

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com (and Happy New Year :) ).
    No this is not illegual. This is only due to the fact that in theory you have only 3 to 6 months until your insurance stops covering you as you are a permanent resident in another country. I am surprised thaat your insurance contract is not linked with your residency. However, in theory as long as you have insurance you can drive your car in the UK. The risk is that at some point your German insurance will stop covering you as you are no longer living there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...