Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Colombian-French couple wants to live in the UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by LaetiLitchie, Jul 26, 2015.

1. LaetiLitchie

LaetiLitchie New Member

City:
    Surry Hills
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, english
    Hi there,

Since a week I tried to find all the answers to my problem but I can't find anything very clear. I hope someone could help me...

My boyfriend is colombian and I am french we met in Australia 3,5 years ago. We were in a de facto visa in Australia. We had to leave the country so we went back to our countries ( Colombia and France) 2 months ago. And now we would like to live in London. For me there is no issue because I am european but for him it is more difficult. He is going to study the first year but in the future we would like to avoid paying for a visa and studies are really expensive for foreigners.

So we would like to know what we should do in order to:
    1. No need visa for him
    2. Reduce the price of his studies

I imagine that getting married would be easier for our relationship. :)
    But do you know if we get married in France if it allows him to live in UK or it is better to get married in the UK? and if it is possible... And if we get married, his studies would be less expensive because he is married to a french woman?

I know it is lot of questions and I am a bite lost...

Thanks for your help!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    In any case there is a period of several years (3 years I think for a French marriage) when your husband cannot get the French nationality as married with a French national. However as being married to a EU citizen it should make things easier to move around Europe. If you want to live in the UK, you should refer to: http://www.visabureau.com/uk/family-permit-married.aspx

In addition, as of december 2014, Judges in the European Court of Justice (ECJ) decided that Britain can no longer require visas for non-EU family members of EU Citizens wishing entry to the UK, provided they are settled in another EU country (more on the case THERE and consequence HERE).

Regarding study fees I don't think it will have any consequence (University studies are very expensive in England) but I might be wrong, it needs checking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...