Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Citizenship and Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by peterkey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. peterkey

peterkey New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Dear all.

I've been living in UK for 6 years now. First, I was a student for a year also working part-time. I got my National Insurance Number at that time. Then, I worked full-time for two years. After, I enrolled for a full-time PhD studies. Now, I called home office to see if I'm eligible for applying for a British citizenship. I'm originally from Poland (European Union). Anyhoo, I was told that to be eligible I should have had Comprehensive Sickness Insurance and be registered with Work and Registration Scheme. They suggested I do it and try again in 6 years from now on. Does it make sense? I mean how does it work out like? I obviously benefit from NHS so I assumed I am insured, also, I though National Insurance Number sorts out it all. Can anyone outline to me what are my rights in that case? Can I apply for the British citizenship or not and why? Do I have to wait another 6 years just due to these two bits missing?

Cheers,
    Peter

2. peterkey

peterkey New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    BTW, I've just read on HM Revenue & Customs that:
    'Comprehensive sickness cover includes the National Heath Service (NHS) cover.'.

So, If I'm an EU student registered with NHS, does it count? I was told on phone by someone from the home office it does not. Then why these contradicting statements?

P.

3. monakamey

monakamey New Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    hey, I have the problem with Sickness Insurance, too.
    I have been here for 9 years, but the first 6 I was a student.

Did you manage to resolve the issue? I do not know what to show them,
    would paper from Narodowy Fundusz zdrowia work?

Can't contact UKBA as lines always busy and been waiting for hours!

4. alaskangirl

alaskangirl Member

hey guys, please can you post an update? my husband is Polish too and I am now applying for the EEA4 PR, he has never had this CSI! he is a PhD student too and has a part-time job, but during two years he didnt work anywhere. please let me know how you got on!!
    dzieki!