Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Canadian with UK Passport Moving to France

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by Sleepercar, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Sleepercar

Sleepercar New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello!

I am a Canadian citizen, who recently obtained a EU passport (UK) as my parents were born in the UK. As a result, I have an EU passport but have not lived in the EU.

I am hoping to move to France for approximately 1 year beginning in January, 2017. I plan to take online courses during this time, and do not plan to work or attend any university.

According to the following website, British nationals are not subject to entry and stay visa requirements, whatever the duration of their stay.

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming ... ng-a-visa/

This website, which I believe is unofficial, but scares me a bit has different rules:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/mov ... dex_en.htm

It states I can stay in France 3 months with no problems with a UK passport, but after 3 months need to meet certain conditions (work/study).

Does anyone have any advice on what the official rule is in my scenario for an extended stay in France up to 1 year as a British national?

Secondly, I wonder if it will be possible to obtain a healthcare card in France, without having a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before arrival.

Any assistance or reference to applicable information would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Chris