Forum Immigration USA

Forum of expats in the Immigration USA: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Canadian getting married to an American in the U.S

Discussion in 'Immigration USA' started by Canadian Girl, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl New Member

I am a Canaidian citizen and im currently in CA, with my boyfriend who is an American citizen here we were wanting to get married and im curious what would happen if legally we were to get married during my stay here. Because im Canadian I have 6 months here legally with no visa and we really want to stay together but we want to do it legally. Any tips would be great or any info regarding how else I could stay here to be with him would be greatly appreciated, thankyou :)

2. Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl New Member

Please anyone, anything would be greqat any tips any links just any information would be greatly appreciated. We just need help we want to be together and we want to make sure we are doing everything right. Thankyou

3. Aamaly

Aamaly New Member

City:
    Utah
    hey girl

I also am in your situation, I am engaged to an American and have been living here for over a year on no visa. I have been looking all over for information on what to do regarding just getting married here in the US and wanting to know if me being here over my stay will affect the outcome of the visa and becoming a citizen. I look at all these immigration sites and it doesnt tell you anything you need to know. What i want to know is if it is easier for a canadian citizen to get citizenship or is it the same as a mexican, etc. And if i do get married to him in the US will I beable to stay here while filing? There is so many question and no answers and i cant afford a laywer. I will let you know if i find anything out and you do the same. All i know is it isnt fun being in a place where you are not allowed to live freely. I cant work here, i cant travel back to canada to see my family and friends because if i do cross the border I am afraid they will not let me back in for a while because they will see I have been in the US longer than i was supose to. Anyways good luck to you sweety. I will keep you informed.

4. Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl New Member

Hey , wow I never thought anyone would respond. I never really got any help but maybe I can help you.

I got married on May 6th to my American Husband and after many nights crying because of being over whelmed with trying to do the immigration stuff alone we decided to borrow money and hire a Lawyer she told us that we had a very good case the limits are I cant leave the US untill my lawyer files my papers and im granted a temp visa that allows me to leave and come back, she said this proccess take 3-4 months. She also told me that once we got married I was legally allowed to work altough you dont have a Social security number so you will have a hard time finding a job untill you get that. To get my full residencey will take 3-5 years. I am going to ask her about keeping my canadian citizenship to have dual and see what that will take and if im allowed I will get back to you with any more info, if you have any questinos let me.

Good luck hun, its hard but if he is worth it , then its worth it! bye for now

5. Aamaly

Aamaly New Member

City:
    Utah
    Hey ,

I would love to get a lawyer and let them do the whole process haha but we just bought a house and really cant afford it, How much did you have to pay your lawyer and for all the paperwork if you dont mind me asking?

We are planning on just getting married and then file for citizenship, but i am afraid they may deny me because of my over stay in the us. If you can, would you find out for me what happens if you get married and then file for the paperwork but they see I have been here over your stay. That would be so awesome.

Thanks for responding hun, I didnt think anyone would answer me either haha. So how do they expect you to work with no SIN# you couldnt get your taxes back and how would you file? How long does it take before you get a SIN#?

Where youin the US for a while before you got married? and how long were you here for? sorry for all the questions I am just so freaked that i will have to leave him to go back to canada and not be allowed back in to see him for a really long time and he works full time and cant take time off so we wouldnt beable to see each other very often :cry:

Well girly I better jet before i talk your ear off haha
    talk to you soon, thanks again

6. wdelgado

wdelgado New Member

City:
    Albany NY
    Th other end.

Ladies,

I am an American Citizen (male ) trying to marry my Canidian fiance(female). We are in the starting stages. Our scenario is a bit different. I am looking for an attorney in my area that can handle this one, so far I can not find one.

She has a school and work visa. Her visa expires in Feb 2008. She can renew. I do not know anything about immigration for Canadian. Any pointers will be usefull. I will be researching this subject with my local immigration office if I find any valid information that can help you both I will be posting it here.

I was wondering if you both got married, if so congratulations, I hope that you can help me or at least guide me in the dirrection I need to go.

7. Michiko

Michiko New Member

City:
    RI
    I am also a Canadian Girl who wants to marry her american bf

Hi girls,

I've been dating my american bf from RI for 4 years now. We were looking into getting married for a year now but there are not a lot of informations online or helps anywhere for this... it's like they (American gov) don't like spouses from other countries. I always thought, that being a canadian would be easier to get in and marry an american citizen, since we are neighbors but doesn't look like it.

If someone can give me more informations or any kind of links here's my personal email: redsox_babe@hotmail.com

Thank you so much in advance!

8. ashn

ashn New Member

Similar issue

Okay so my question is, if i want to marry my american fiance, Im Canadian so obviously i dont have a social security number I have a SIN number how am I supposed to get a marriage license if I cant get a social security number. If you have ANY advice please let me know!!!! Thank you

9. Poet

Poet New Member

I got married in Illinois and I didn't need a ssn....they used my sin #

10. goldylocks

goldylocks New Member

City:
    Canada
    I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm a Canadian citizen but I still live in Canada and I am engaged to an American who lives in NC. We are looking at using a lawyer for the process.

From what I've been reading, you can get married to a US citizen in the US on just a visitors visa but they will make you leave and then your spouse in the US has to apply for the visa which can take anywhere from a few months to a couple years depending on how many times they find errors in the application.

Apparently getting a fiance/fiancee visa (K-1) visa is faster to get, and then you can stay after getting married (which you have to do within 90 days after entering the US), otherwise you will have to come back to Canada.

11. goldylocks

goldylocks New Member

City:
    Canada
    Just found this info

Q. My fiancee has overstayed her visa before. Is she eligible to come to the U.S. on the K-1 fiancee visa?

A. It depends. If she overstayed her prior visa by over a year, she is barred from re-entering the U.S. for ten years (although an “extreme hardship” waiver is possible). If she overstayed her prior visa by six months to a year, she is barred from re-entering the U.S. for three years (again, an “extreme hardship” waiver is possible). Shorter overstays will cause less severe problems, and can often be overcome.