Forum United Kingdom

Community of expats United Kingdom: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

Buying a house in UK

Forum المملكة المتحدة, Vereinigtes Königreich, Reino Unido, Royaume-Uni, Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο, イギリス, Regno Unito, Verenigd Koninkrijk, Wielka Brytania, Reino Unido, Великобритания, 英国, 英國: المملكة المتحدة, Vereinigtes Königreich, Reino Unido, Royaume-Uni, Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο, イギリス, Regno Unito, Verenigd Koninkrijk, Wielka Brytania, Reino Unido, Великобритания, 英国, 英國

Buying a house in UK

Postby Starla8 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Might be the wrong place to ask but as my parents are retiring, they would like to buy a winter home in the UK to be near to my family/grandkids (my husband and I are both UK citizens). They want my husband and I to buy a place with their money (fully paid) in my name. Would that be possible as my husband and I still have a mortgage for our home? Any advice would be very helpful! TIA! :)

Starla8
Backpacker
Backpacker

Nationality: United States (us)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English

Re: Buying a house in UK

Postby Cyrilexpat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello,
It depends on the mortage. Will it be a mortgage for your parents? In that case it shouldn't matter about your mortgage. It is more about their ability to get a mortgage of their own.

You could also get a buy-to-let mortgage (which is not taking into account your existing mortgage, but rather the potential rent you can get from letting the property out) and rent it out to your parents?

I would recommend that you contact a mortgage adivsor.
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)

Postby Starla8 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. If it helps, they'd buy it with cash, essentially. Thanks!

Starla8
Backpacker
Backpacker

Nationality: United States (us)
Languages: English

Postby Cyrilexpat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Well then in that case there is no much problem.
They have plenty of foreign investors buying properties in London at preposterous prices...
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)