Forum Istanbul

Forum of expats in Istanbul: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Bilingual British expat, "personal interpreter"

Discussion in 'Istanbul' started by Joel Thomas, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Joel Thomas

Joel Thomas New Member

City:
    Istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Türkçe
    Hello everybody,

My name is Joel Thomas, I've been living in Istanbul for 6 years now, although I've been doing Turkish since I was little so it's practically my first language, along with English of course.

I'm working as a freelance translator/interpreter. I do marketing translation for companies and some conference interpreting, but I suppose what I really have to offer for expats is what I call "personal interpreting."

As someone who's moved to Istanbul from abroad myself, I know that it can be very complicated and stressful. So I know exactly where you're coming from. However I'm also fully integrated into Turkish culture, which means that I can help you avoid the common pitfalls and find your way much faster than you might otherwise.

To give you an example: I recently met up with an expat for other business, and as we were parting ways she told me she was going to the bank to open a bank account so she could apply for residency. She was unaware that she didn't have to go through that hassle--bureau de change receipts are enough. I got out my mini laptop to check on the police station's website (in Turkish) to confirm. She then said she didn't have a rent agreement, so we went off to the nearest notary to ask (again in Turkish) about the paperwork you need if you don't have one. So now she's set. Basically, within half an hour we had found out things that might have taken her days or even weeks to research.

If you think my services might be useful to you, feel free to send me a quick email at joel.thomas.tr@gmail.com.

I wish you all the best with your plans in Turkey!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français