Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN American Student/Spouse in London Moving to Study in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by wisof, Jul 26, 2006.

1. wisof

wisof New Member

City:
    London
    Hi everyone. My situation is as follows: I am currently completing a masters course in a London institution. I am American, and so is my spouse. I have an opportunity to do another masters in Spain through a scholarship that will pay my tuition, living expenses, and travel. I am Puerto Rican so spanish is my native tounge.

Currently, my spouse can work in the UK 40 hrs and as a student I can work 20. It seems that in Spain we will not be able to legally work at all, can anyone confirm this?

These are the documents I think I need for both of us (from another page):

•Passport valid for a minimum of six months and three photocopies of the personal information and photo page.
    •4 recent pictures, passport size.
    •Original marriage certificate *.
    •Original certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the city or cities where the applicant has spent 6 months or more in the last 5 years, with a translation into Spanish .
    •Original medical certificate typed on doctor’s stationary verifying that the applicant is free from the following quarantine diseases: yellow fever, cholera, and the plague. The certificate must also certify that the applicant is free of drug addictions and mental illness, with a translation into Spanish .
    •Original Medical Insurance that will cover you in Spain.

For student:

•3 Schengen visa application forms fully completed and signed at the bottom of the back page.
    •Proof of admission to a Spanish academic center as a full-time student from the Spanish center or from the U.S. program as well as transcripts from your current studies.
    •Proof of financial means for the period of study in Spain. Proof could be:
    Letter from the institution organizing the studies indicating that tuition and living expenses have been paid in advance or the organization is fully responsible for them.
    For many students this information is stated in the previously mentioned letter of acceptance.
    Notarized letter of parents/guardians assuming financial responsibility while student is in Spain for at least $1000 per month.
    Three last statement of student´s bank account with a minimum balance of $1000 per month of stay in Spain or $1000 worth of travellers checks per month of stay in Spain.
    •If the student is under 18 years of age, the student should present a notarized letter of authorization from the parents.

What I am not sure of is how these documents need to be authorized. For example, there is some stamp or seal I need to have on certain documents, I cannot remember what this is called.

Any help, tips, or anecdotes about this process would be helpful. We are planning to move in February, so I want to get on this ASAP. I am afraid I might have to go to Los Angeles to apply for the VISA . . . anyone know if I can do it in London (I think only residents can do this . . . basically ones that have been here for three years)?

Thanks for taking the time to read, any help is appreciated.

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English