Forum Immigration UK

Community of expats Immigration UK: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.
  Register  -  Login  - FAQ
  Advanced search  - Search the whole website
 User's Charter
Language:

Advice for an American marrying a Brit and moving to the UK?

Forum General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.: General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.

Advice for an American marrying a Brit and moving to the UK?

Postby Dolly » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:13 am

I am an American who is marrying a British citizen in the US. I am currently in the US and am desperate to be in the UK with my new husband asap. Has anybody gone through the process of getting a spousal visa to enter the UK? I understand that we will need to show proof of my fiancee's ability to provide financial support as well as a roof over our head's, as well as proof that our marriage is genuine. I would like to know about all of the details that are involved with this. What specific things does the Embassy look for when reviewing applications? I would appreciate any tips from people who have been through this ordeal before so I may recieve entry clearance as swiftly as possible! Thanks!

Dolly

Postby alabama » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:10 am

I'm in a similar situation to you, but I opted for the EEA route, since I have dual British/French nationality, and the UK spousal visa seems much harder and more expensive to obtain. The best advice I can give is not to throw any paperwork out, in order to to have plenty of evidence that it is a long standing relationship and that you will be able to support yourselves financially. You really need to insist that he will not have recourse to public funds whilst over here - that's one of the main things they'e looking out for. Good luck with it all - it does seem like an ordeal sometimes, doesn't it?

alabama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nationality: United Kingdom (gb)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Français

Postby ian6479 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:52 pm

This might be a bit late, and i hope you are already sorted out.

My wife and I had exactly the same situation. My wife is from Chicago and I from London.. we got married in the US. All you have to do is take your marriage certificate, along with proof of address in the Uk (from your husband) and a fee of (at the time $400), and then return later the same day for your visa. You get a 2 year probation visa and then go back to the embassy after 2 years for a permanent one.

Nice and simple!

ian6479

Postby caha » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:45 pm

I've heard that with the Family (Spouse) Visa you're not supposed to travel without the sponsor.

Can anyone (Alabama?) comment a little bit more about the EEA2 route? experience, tips...? also can the person applying do it outside the UK, or does he/she has to be already in the UK?

caha
Backpacker
Backpacker

Postby jilly78 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi,

I am American married to a UK citizen. We want to move to Spain in the coming months. He does not have his green card yet from the US and I was wondering if we could leave without having a problem getting back in (to the US). Also is there anyway I could get a working visa through my husband?

Any help would be great cheers

jilly78

City: New York

Postby Triple H » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:09 pm

Also is there anyway I could get a working visa through my husband?

http://www.spainexpat.com/legal/visa-spain.php

Triple H
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

City: Dublin
Nationality: United Kingdom (gb)
Living in: Ireland
Languages: English

Return to Immigration UK