Forum Open Bar

Forum of expats Open Bar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN 401(k) question for expats

Discussion in 'Open Bar' started by rwillba, Apr 13, 2007.

1. rwillba

rwillba New Member

City:
    Minneapolis
    Hello,

My wife and I are planning to move from the U.S. to New Zealand in a year. This plan has been in the works for some time, and my former employer had a long waiting period before I could become vested in the company match portion of my 401(k). Knowing I would lose most of the match, hence most of the benefit, I opted out of the plan to save money for our moving and startup expenses in New Zealand. I've just taken a new job, and this company offers immediate vesting in their portion of the 401(k) contribution. Still, the amount of money in the fund would be limited after only a year. I figure the corporate match portion to run about $4000. It is free money, though, so I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I am 33 years old, and don't want that money tied up until I turn 59 1/2 while the rest of my retirement funds are overseas. So, my question:
    -Can I move my 401(k) out of the country and into another investment vehicle without having to pay the tax penalty for early withdrawal?

Thanks for your time.

2. beadvised1

beadvised1 Member

Answer

the only ooption you have based on your criteria is to move the 401K funds into a Qualified IRA. If you access the money before the guidelines you will pay Income Taxes and penalties on it.

If you do not need the money, I would recommend considering moving it to an IRA and you can manage it from anywhere in the world.