Departure to Miami

Passport, Visa & Permits to Miami

Home > Expat Guides > North America > Usa > Miami

Passports issued prior to October 26, 2005 do not require visas for tourist travel staying less than 90 days, however if your passport was issued after October 26, 2005 but is not biometric, you will need a visa for tourist travel regardless of the length of stay.

  • Tourist travel for more than 90 days and business travel require a B1/B2 visa.
  • Students, au pairs, or interns need either a J1 or F1 visa
  • Working visas are H1 for employees or L1 for executives
  • Business travellers need a treaty trader E1 or E2 visa as an investor.
  • Apply for your visa at the American embassy
  • You will be interviewed to determine if you qualify
  • Your visa will be added in your passport with the category and expiration date

Green card

Another option is to obtain a green card however the process is fastidious and time consuming and is not always successful. Outlined below are suggestions on how to proceed.

  • The green card lottery is free and you may apply online at from October to December. You will be notified in the summer if you are one of the 55.000 lucky winners.
  • Family members 21 years or older holding a green card or citizenship may sponsor you if you are an immediate family member.
  • H1, L1 or O visas can be changed into green cards upon renewal.

Green cards are valid for 10 years and you will be taxed as an American citizen. You will need to declare international revenus in the US even, which may prove to be an expensive endevor for those only residing in the US for a short while.

Update 13/06/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Usa and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Miami, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon