Theatres in Madrid
Nowadays, Madrid offers a wide choice of theatre plays, dance and circus performances for everybody.
Its prices might vary from 4€ up to 50€ for an international and special performance. The cheapest performances are on Wednesdays or during matinee performances on Sundays, where you can get up to 50% discount.
Some of the most popular theatres are:
Children's Theatres in Madrid
In both classical and alternative rooms, Madrid also offers plays and performances for kids in theatres such as: Prosperidad Theatre, Sanpol Theatre, PlotPoint or the Karpas Theatre
For a complete list of theatres and its annual program visit turismomadrid.es
Opera in Madrid
Madrid houses two main auditoriums where to enjoy the scenic arts and opera plays:
- Auditorio Nacional de Musica de Madrid: Opened in 1988, it homes the Orquesta y Coro Nacional de España (OCNE)
- Teatro Real: In 2018, Teatro Real celebrates the 200th foundation anniversary. To commemorate it, 13 operas have been scheduled. Most of them have never seen before at the theatre. Among them you can find masterpieces play such as: Carmen, Aida and Lucia di Lammermoor, as well as como Die Soldaten, Lucio Silla or Gloriana
Orchestra in Madrid
Madrid musical panorama has been recently ranked as one of the best in Europe. Most of its Orchestras were created last century, including Madrid's symphony orchestra, founded in 1903.
Among them you can find:
- Orquesta y Coro de la Comunidad de Madrid: They were established in 1987 and 1984 respectively. Both of them are resident companies of the Teatro de la Zarzuela since 1998
- Orquesta Sinfonica y Coro de la RTVE: Founded in 1965, it is the chief instrument for music broadcasting on the radio, and is consequently the most widely heard orchestra in Spain
- Orquesta Sinfonica de Madrid: Madrid's symphony orchestra is the oldest orchestra established in Madrid, founded in 1903
- Film symphony orchestra: The "FSO" is a professional symphonic orchestra based in Madrid that exclusively offers concerts of film music - in its broadest sense.
- Orquesta Nacional de España: Spain's National Orchestra was set up in 1942 by Joaquín Turina. This orchestra is the most International one. It has performed its music in countless countries around the world.
You can buy your tickets on Music-Opera.com
Museums in Madrid
Madrid hosts a big variety of very good museums: The Prado, of course, but also the modern art center Reina Sofia (in front of Atocha station), the museum Thyssen (between Atocha and Cibeles), etc.
Here are some of the ones that cannot be missed when visiting the city.
Free entrance to Madrid Museums
To get free entry to more than 50 Madrid museums, and many other sights, monuments, tours and attractions, you can check the Madrid Card.
Noche de los museos (Museum's night)
As in the rest of the world, Madrid celebrates every 18th May the "Museums open night" during the "International Museum Day". Throughout that special day, most of its museums are completely free.