Departure to Singapore

Passport, Visa & Permits to Singapore

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Singapore > Singapore

In order to visit Singapore, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Valid passport ( your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months)
  • Onward/return ticket
  • Entry permit for your next destination (if applicable)
  • Sufficient funds for your stay in Singapore
  • Singaporean visa (if applicable)

If you are staying for less than 3 months, citizens of certain countries (for example Morocco, Somalia & Russia) will need to apply for a visa. Citizens of many other countries such as the United Kingdom, France and Canada can enter Singapore and stay for up to 3 months without one. In all cases, stays of more than 3 months require a visa; the type of visa depending on the reason for your stay.

The various types of visas are:

Training Visa Pass

This is for those wishing to train in Singapore, and as such is required by students from universities in other countries, qualified personnel and people with a revenue of at least S$2500 working in management or any other specialised area.

  • Professional Visit Pass
    A Professional Visit Pass is required if the period of work is very short. Artists, singers and dancers are among those who may be requiring this.

Work Permit/Employment Pass

Required for those who will be working for a longer period of time.A Work Permit is generally given to low revenue workers (those earning less than S$1600 a month), such as construction workers, maids etc.

  • EMPLOYMENT PASS (P Category)
    This is for professionals or entrepreneurs in particular domains such as management or administration. Workers who will be earning (per month) between S$3 500 and S$7 000 will need a P2 pass, and those earning over S$7 000 will require a P1 pass.
    P passes are valid for an initial 2 years, and renewable every 3 years thereafter.
  • EMPLOYMENT PASS (Q Category)
    Qualified workers who can prove that they have special skills ( e.g. baker or jeweller) can ask for a Q1 pass as long as they will be earning a minimum monthly salary of S$2 000
  • EMPLOYMENT PASS (S Category)
    These are for workers and technicians (qualification is evaluated using a points system) with a revenue of at least S$1800 a month.
    Families (spouse and children under 21) of workers holding a P1, P2 or Q1 require dependant passes to stay in Singapore . They don't have an automatic right to work, but may ask if they wish.
    Grand-parents can apply for a Long-Term Social Visit Pass.

Whatever category applies to you, you will have to go through the Ministry of Manpower. There is a whole lot of paperwork involved (and is all done in English, the language of administration in Singapore ), as well as a lot of queuing and waiting around. Luckily, it is usually the employer who takes care of this side of things. You/your employer will also have to prove that no Singaporean can do the job that you are applying for. It goes without saying that you will need a proper contract.

If you are re-entering Singapore to work, you will need a re-entry Permit.

Two very important websites for you to go to are listed below:

Immigration and Checkpoints Authority:

Ministry of Manpower:

And also:

Update 20/11/2009


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Singapore and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Singapore, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).