There are many areas to shop within Moscow, each with a different personality:
- Tverskaya Street is the most expensive shopping street within all of Russia. According to the company Colliers International, this is the 3rd most expensive street based on commercial rents in the world.
- The adjoining Tretyakovsky Proyezd that lies south of Tverskaya Street hosts upscale boutique stores such as Bulgari, Tiffany & Co., Armani, Prada and Bentley.
- Cheap souvenirs can be purchased from Izmaylovskiy Market in Izmalylovo Park. Tourist attractions like performing bears alert visitors to this tourist trap. Walking out in the middle of a bargaining session will most likely NOT get you the price you want. Instead insults will be hurled towards you.
- Evropeiskiy is one of the newest shopping malls. Many international brand-name shops (Levi's, Calvin Klein, Swatch) can be found here. There is also a multi screen cinema, food gallery, supermarket, opticians, and more.
- GUM sits right on Red Square and is a mall with international labels and hyper-expensive boutiques. Once filled with Soviet-era goods of mediocre quality, this is now a tourist attraction that should be seen simply for its architecture.
- Detskiy Mir, or "Children's World", is full of toys, books, DVDs, and Peruvian souvenirs. It is also an architectural feat, though its upcoming renovations could harm this historic integrity.
- Gorod, or "The City", is a mammoth mall in the beginning of Ryazansky Prospekt (Ryazan avenue). Offers everything consumers may need including Auchan hypermarket, fast food, boutiques, outlets, cinemas, ice-skating, etc.
- Sunrise Pro is a computer, hi-tech, and consumer electronics hypermarket. Pricewise, this is the best place to get electronics within Russia, but you need to know what you want before coming here. Returns are complicated and rubles are preferred.
Food can be very expensive in Russia if purchased from a grocery store. The outdoor markets offer cheap, fresh food and are where the locals shop. Note that these supplies do not keep as long because they do not have preservatives.