Easy Expat - International Relocation Portal: Move, Work, Live Abroad



Find a Job

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs

Job Hunting in the Philippines

The Philippines' seasonal and short-term work is centered on the tourism and service industries. The summer months are the most popular as people flood into the cities and countryside to explore the Philippines.

Cities offer plentiful opportunities in shops and restaurants but accommodations are also the most expensive. Hotels and spas are also a good place to look for work. They may also provide accommodations.

Search Engines

Go to EasyExpat's job listings to find Job offers in Philippines


Networking can help you find the perfect position. Chat with other expats and share your experience on our Philippines forum or on EasyExpat's LinkedIn group.


Several papers have a helpful classifieds section. These include:

Common Positions

Shops, restaurants and hotels usually have a need for seasonal or short-term workers. Inquire directly at establishments and for the best chance, bring your CV. Apply early into the season before positions fill up.

Frequent positions:

Teaching Foreign/English Language

As the majority of people speak English in the Philippines, this is not the most profitable side line. However, there are language schools and people wanting to learn languages. If you are a native speaker of English or another language like French, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, etc. you may be able to establish yourself with a school (teacher or school assistant).

Teachers should be qualified or have considerable experience teaching children and/or adults. Candidates must have the right to work in the Philippines. To find work, contact language schools directly.

It is also an option to work on your own. Private lessons are usually more profitable per hour, but may require a lot of hard work to find your own customers. The best way to get private students is to post advertisements in business newspapers, on bulletin boards, or offer your services on the classifieds section of expat sites.

Student Employment Contract

An employment contract is standard for any working environment. In the case of student or short-term work, a student employment contract may be used. This usually imposes a time-limit between a student and an employer, with the student getting a salary for his/her work. Making a formal student work contract is not mandatory (it is possible to sign a standard employee contract instead), but may have additional benefits for a student position.

Discount Cards

ISE Card(International Student Exchange Card) - An internationally recognized identification card with thousands of discounts in over 80 countries, it is valid for one year from date of issue. Students of ANY age are eligible, as well as faculty members and children to young adults from 12-25. The price is $25 and you can purchase it online at www.isecard.com/products/index.html.

ISIC (International Student Identity Card) - A discount card for full-time students 12 years and older. Offers discounts on travel rates, accommodations, shopping, entertainment, basic sickness and travel insurance, and inexpensive international phone calls. A passport sized photo is required and the card costs about $25 and is good through December 31st of each year. It can be purchased at www.isic.org/student-card/buy-an-isic.aspx.

IYTC (International Youth Travel Card) - A discount card for travelers under 26 who aren't enrolled in school, this card offers a smaller range of youth travel discounts. The card costs $22.

Work Visa

You will be required to secure a special work permit if you are taking on a short-term job. For more details on the requirements and process of applying for a special work permit, you can refer here.

For more information on visa, consult the section on "Departure/Passport and Visas".

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.


Return to previous page.

Copyright dotExpat Ltd © 2019. All rights reserved.