Easy Expat - International Relocation Portal: Move, Work, Live Abroad



Find a Job

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs

Getting a summer job in the Netherlands is a great way to explore the country at the best time of the year while also being able to afford it! What's more, a summer job experience can add an international touch to your CV, something that most companies look for these days.

In order to help you to find a job for an experience abroad, we have selected a few organisations for each of the themes below.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Job Hunting in the Netherlands

Most students in the Netherlands tend to work while studying to earn some pocket money and/or just for the experience. A popular source of job opportunities for students during summer and at other times during the year is temping. Temp jobs are a great way to get a taste for the work environment in the Netherlands and also give you the flexibility to pursue other interests during your time in the Netherlands. Some of the key temping agencies to get in touch with are as listed below.

Do not forget the employment department of Universities, High schools, available to students that are registered only.

Summer jobs and vacancies in bars, hotels, restaurant, catering

Cafes, bars, restaurants are always looking for extra help especially in the busy summer months. Some places to check out are as below.

Some other websites to check out are:


  1. http://www.transitionsabroad.com/
  2. http://www.4icj.com/

The French National Employment Service (ANPE) and the Center of Information for Youths (CIDJ) have set up a website in 5 languages (German, English, French, Italian, Spanish) : EuroSummerJob [http://www.eurosummerjobs.com/] that provides more than 1000 summer jobs offers throughout Europe.

Au Pair

You can find more information in our Au Pair article.

The student employment contract

Work Permit

In order to follow an internship or work placement in Holland, students from outside the EU/EEA need a work permit (Tewerkstellingsvergunning) in addition to their entry visa. Your employer must apply for this permit for you.

You also need a work permit if you want to take paid work alongside your studies. Students are entitled to carry on work of 'incidental nature' for a maximum of ten hours per week. The months of June, July and August (seasonal work) are exempted from this rule and there is no limit for the number of hours worked. Internships may not exceed 50% of the total study time. EU, EEA and Swiss nationals have to be registered with IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Services) to be employed under the same conditions as Dutch students. Unless you are an EU (excluding Romania and Bulgaria), EEA or Swiss national, you need a work permit for 'incidental' work.

If you have successfully completed your program of higher education, you may apply for a residence permit valid for five years. To do this, you must have a contract of employment.


  1. http://www.internationalgraduate.net
  2. http://www.movetonetherlands.com

Working holiday visa

Visa requirements are crucial to your trip planning.
This section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up to date info..

The Working Holiday Scheme is an ideal way to explore and experience life in the Netherlands while engaging in temporary employment (maximum of one year). Jobs can be found in all sectors, including industry, commerce, science and technology, tourism, agriculture and horticulture. A work permit is not necessary, once you have obtained the visa for this program.

Working Holiday visas in the Netherlands are only available for citizens of Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The intention behind the scheme is to allow young (age 18-30) Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders to visit the Netherlands for up to 12 months and to permit them to supplement their income by working during their holiday.

To ensure that the holidaymakers do not become destitute and a burden to the Dutch government, would-be working holidaymakers need to show that they have at least AUD$3,000 to bring with them to support themselves, if they already have a return air ticket or they should provide evidence of funds exceeding AUD$6,000 if they only have a one-way air ticket. Furthermore, WHV candidates are expected to have a compete medical insurance coverage during their working holiday.

Netherlands working holiday visa applications are generally straightforward and can be downloaded from the websites of the Royal Netherlands Embassies in Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Applications should be a made a few months before departure and are accepted throughout the year.

On arrival in the Netherlands, working holidaymakers must:

Candidates wishing to obtain a Netherlands Working Holiday Visa should contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy in their country of residence where they can also request an application form.


  1. http://www.workpermit.com
  2. http://www.youth.gc.ca

Discount Cards

Why pay more? Make use of your student status and get a horde of discounts on a range of products and services. Get discounts on travel, shopping, food, entertainment in the Netherlands and beyond with the following cards.

You can apply directly online to get the cards (http://www.isiccard.com) or by asking your University or youth centres.


  1. http://www.leiden.edu
You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.


Return to previous page.

Copyright dotExpat Ltd © 2019. All rights reserved.