Find a Job in Valletta

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Valletta

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Malta > Valletta

Job Hunting in Malta

Tourism and ESL (English as a Second Language) are major seasonal industries in Malta. Hiring in these sectors takes places in the early spring.

English is a required language in these sectors. Knowledge of other languages is considered a very positive asset, especially in the tourism sector. Knowledge of spoken and written Maltese is required for some local service and retail jobs.

Search Engines

Job vacancies can be found online through Maltese listing web sites such as Malta Park, Di-Ve, Free Ads, and Iz-Izjed.

Vacancies are also commonly listed with recruitment and hiring agencies, such as

Local businesses also frequently post job listings on Facebook.

You can also search EasyExpat's job listings for Malta.


As part of the EU, job seekers can access the European job mobility portal EURES. This resource provides information about job vacancies and the labor market in 31 European countries. It also provides information on the living and working conditions of each country, and offers a CV posting service.

Malta has its own EURES office, located in the Employment Division of the Employment and Training Corporation (ETC) offices in Hal Far. The EURES Malta office is open Monday-Friday from 0900-1200 hrs (9:00 am- 12:00 pm). Further information can be obtained by contacting EURES Malta directly by phone (+356 2220 1203) or email (


Networking can help you find the perfect position. Chat with other expats and share your experience on EasyExpat's Malta forums.


Several papers have a helpful classified's section. These include: The Times of Malta and The Independent.

Common Positions 

Entry-level positions in Malta's large ESL sector include group and one-on-one instructors and activity coordinators. In the tourism and service industries bar and wait staff and receptionists are common entry-level positions. At large resorts and hotels, hiring for entry-level tourism positions commonly occurs during Open Days in the spring. These are hosted by large resorts and hotels, and often require pre-registration online.

Teaching Foreign/English Language

There are over 30 English Language schools in Malta. Peak season for teaching English in Malta is mid-May to September.

Most English language schools in Malta are located in Sliema and St. Julian's, with some in Gozo, St. Paul's Bay, and Pembroke.

You do not require a degree to teach English in Malta. However, at least an introductory TEFL certificate is legally required, and an A level in English is also required. Some institutions require a CELTA or equivalent. ESL teaching jobs can be found with little to no experience in Malta.

To teach English in Malta you also require a Teaching Permit from Malta's EFL Monitoring Board, which you apply for yourself. You can obtain an application form from Malta's EFL Monitoring board.

A work permit (also known as an Employment License) is also required to teach English in Malta, for both EU and non-EU nationals. You must have a job offer from an ESL school before you apply for a work permit. The ESL school will apply for the Employment License on your behalf, which is obtained from the Employment and Training Corporation (ETC).

Student Employment Contract

An employment contract is standard for any working environment and in the case of student or short-term work, a student employment contract may be used. This usually imposes a time-limit between a student and an employer, with the student getting a salary for his/her work. Making a formal student work contract is not mandatory (it is possible to sign a standard employee contract instead), but may have additional benefits for a student position.

Discount Cards

ISE Card (International Student Exchange Card) - An internationally recognized identification card with thousands of discounts in over 80 countries, it is valid for one year from date of issue. Students of any age are eligible, as well as faculty members, and children to young adults ages 12-25. ISE cards cost $25 annually, and are available to purchase online at ISE Card discounts in Malta include 50% admission to local museums, 10-20% discounts at local restaurants, as well as free excursions and other benefits at local English language schools.

ISIC (International Student Identity Card) - The ISIC card offers discounts on travel rates, accommodations, shopping, entertainment, basic sickness and travel insurance, and inexpensive international phone calls to full-time students 12 years and older. A passport sized photo is required and the card costs about $25 and is good through December 31st of each year. It can be purchased at ISIC Card discounts in Malta include 10-20% off hotels and restaurants, free online English courses, and up to 30% off motor insurance.

IYTC (International Youth Travel Card) - A discount card for travelers under 26 who aren't enrolled in school, this card offers a smaller range of youth travel discounts. The card costs $22 card. Members can still participate in the global ISIC community. You can get IYTC cars at any ISIC card issuer. ITYC Card discounts in Malta include 10-20% off hotels and restaurants, and up to 30% off motor insurance.

Work Visa

Travel or entry visas do not automatically give you permission to work in Malta. Work permits (also known as Employment Licenses) are required for all non-EU citizens working short-term in Malta. You require six weeks remaining on your visa when applying for an Employment License.

Your prospective employer will apply for an Employment License on your behalf. These are issued by the Employment and Training Corporation (ETC). All Employment Licenses are for a maximum duration of one year. You will be required to provide your employer with your CV, a passport photo, travel documents, a copy of a valid visa (if applicable), and copies of qualification certificates for submission with your Employment License application. Timely information about Maltese Employment Licenses can be obtained by visiting the Employment and Training Corporation's (ETC) web site.

EU citizens must also apply for an Employment License, however, due to the EU's freedom of movement their license is automatically granted.

Working holiday visas are available to Australia and New Zealand residents ages 18-30 wishing to work in Malta for up to one year.

For more information on visas, consult the section on "Passport and Visas".

Update 25/05/2013


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Malta and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Valletta, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon