Theaters in Riga
In Latvia, going to the theatre is a favorite pastime and with ticket prices starting from as low as 5 EUR, something that is not difficult to afford several times a year. The local theatres offer a wide repertoire from classic plays to rock operas. Do keep in mind that the majority of plays are either in Latvian or Russian.
Main theatres in Riga:
- Latvijas Nacionalais Teatris - the National Theatre is one of the biggest and oldest theatres in the Baltics
- Dailes Teatris - a modern theatre known for its wide range of quality performances
- Jaunais Rigas Teatris - the New Riga Theatre is a small but high quality company that regularly performs at European theatre festivals and does frequent guest performances abroad
- Rigas Krievu Teatris - the Riga Russian Theatre is the world's oldest Russian theatre outside Russia
Opera in Riga
The Latvian National Opera is housed in a beautiful 19th century theatre building in the city centre, often referred to as "the White House". The opera company includes the Latvian National Ballet, the Opera Chorus and Orchestra. There are on average six new productions per season and the opera building hosts over 200 various performances a year.
Orchestra & Choir in Riga
Latvia being known as "the land that sings", there are numerous high quality and regularly performing orchestras and choirs.
Among orchestras, the most notable are the Latvian National Symphony Orchestra, the State Chamber Orchestra Sinfonietta Riga, and the Kremerata Baltica.
Among choirs, there are several that have distinguished themselves not only on a European but also a worldwide scale. To mention a few, the State Choir Latvija, Latvian Radio Choir, the male choir Gaudeamus, the small female choir Latvian Voices, and the youth choirs Kamer and Balsis.
For an overview of upcoming concerts and other musical events use the homepage of the Latvian Music Information Centre.
Museums in Riga
As the European Capital of Culture of 2014, Riga has a museum or exhibition for every taste.
Must-see museums in Riga:
- Riga Museum of the History and Navigation - opened in 1773 this is one of the oldest public museums of Europe and tells the 800 year old history of Riga
- Mentzendorff House - a branch of the Museum of History and Navigation that allows to experience the life of a wealthy Riga inhabitant in the 17th-18th century
- Riga Art Nouveau Museum - a chance to visit a magnificent Art Nouveau apartment with authentic interior from 1903
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia - dedicated to Latvian history between 1940 and 1991 under Soviet and Nazi occupations
- The Corner House - a project by the Museum of Occupation that allows to visit the former KGB headquarters in Riga
- National History Museum of Latvia - established in 1869, this museums hosts the largest collection of artifacts related to Latvian history since ancient times
- Art Museum Riga Bourse - a unique art museum opened in 2011 that seeks to explore the interrelations between the East and the West, the classical and the contemporary
- Latvian Ethnographic Open-air Museum - located on the outskirts of Riga, this museum displays 118 historic buildings from across Latvia dating from the 17th century
All museums in Riga
Directory of museums in Latvia