Cinemas in Riga
In Latvian cinemas movies are generally shown in the original language with subtitles in Latvian and Russian. The only exception is children's movies that are usually dubbed, however original language screenings are available as well.
Ticket prices vary between 5 EUR and 8 EUR. The cheapest tickets are sold for screenings on workdays before 17.00, whereas 3D movies on weekends are the most expensive.
Cinemas in Riga:
- Kino Citadele (previously Forum Cinemas) - centrally located, 14 theatres
- Multikino - in the Riga Plaza shopping mall, 8 theatres
- Cinamon - in the Alfa shopping mall, 8 theatres
- Splendid Palace - the oldest cinema in Riga with a rococo style theatre, shows mainly art house and festival movies
- K.Suns - a small theatre that mainly screens independent and festival movies
Nightclubs in Riga
The busy nightlife of Riga can offer a pub, bar, or club for any taste. The main party area is the Old Town; however nearby districts also have a lot to offer.
The locals like to start a night out by hitting a bar or two and later head to a club for some dancing. Since the financial crisis, the majority of places have dropped entrance fees thus making bar and club hopping in Riga even more enjoyable.
Some listings in the Old Town to get you started:
- Kalku Varti - a favorite among the locals and located in the heart of the city, experience a club atmosphere in a historic cellar
- Pulkvedim Neviens Neraksta (No One Writes to the Colonel) - referred by the locals simply as "Pulkvedis" (the Colonel) this is one of the oldest bars in Riga and has never lost its popularity
- Bar I Love You - advertising itself as an alternative to the pop noise of the Old Town, this bar offers both good food and some of the best DJ sets in the city
- Ezitis Migla (Hedgehog in the Fog) - with two bars in the Old Town this is a favorite among the youth due to its democratic prices
- Folkklubs Ala - one of oldest and biggest beer restaurants in Riga, great for sampling local beer brews and listening to Latvian music
- Nabaklab - Riga's alternative hangout location hosting DJs and live bands in a bohemian student atmosphere
A word of caution: bar scams are known to happen in some Old Town locations. For precautions see this guide's subsection on Safety.
For more listings consult this guide to Riga nightlife.