Easy Expat - International Relocation Portal: Move, Work, Live Abroad




Passport, Visa & Permits

A visa is often required to stay/live in the country of your destination. You must request the form and get the information to the Italian Consulate when you are still in your country of origin.
Do not mix consulate and embassy. The embassy is the representation of the State in a foreign country and is in charge of all the relations with the government of the country where located. The consul protects and administrates the community coming from his country. However, you must usually live for 6 months in the country before you have to register. You will find all the information by asking the Consulate.

If you plan to work in Milan, you must have a job and apply for the necessary documentation before you go to Italy. You employer must apply for the proper permits. Check with your nearest consulate for the most up to date regulations. Note: jobs are hard to come by, especially for anyone from non-EU countries.

In the 27 countries of the European community, a valid National Identity Card or Passport is enough. You don't have to fill any other form in. In many cases, your new company will do the formalities for you.

The 27 countries of the European Union are: Germany, France, The United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Sweden, Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania.

The following documents are required to apply for your first permesso di soggiorno, which you get at the Questura. (see also the section Work Permit)

- Passport and photocopy of information pages, including the visa page if applicable.
- Two photos of each person to be listed on the permesso di soggiorno (e.g. a mother and her children).
- Blue application form (available at the Questura).
- Marca da bollo (€10) for non-EC citizens.

If married, a consular declaration to that effect, or a translated and sworn copy of your marriage certificate. If a parent of children under 16 years old, a consular declaration stating that you are the legal guardian of the children, or translated and sworn copies of their birth certificates.


Return to previous page.

Copyright dotExpat Ltd © 2017. All rights reserved.