Delhi is a shopper's paradise. From jewellery to carpets, clothes to shoes, handicrafts to precious stones, this city is crammed with deals for the shopper. If you're shopping at small shops or bazaars, remember to bargain. At the modern shops, prices aren't negotiable but you'll be treated to a range of designer goods.
The major shopping areas in Delhi are:
- Chandni Chowk: From electrical goods to jewelry, this are is a hit among tourists and locals alike. The area is crammed with bazaars like Kinari Bazaar and Chatta Chowk Bazaar.
- Connaught Place: Shaped like a horse shoe, this place is supposed to be lucky for shoppers and shop keepers alike.
- Dilli Haat: This is the place to be if you're looking for authentic crafts and cuisine.
- South Extension: An upmarket shopping area with designer apparel and accessories.
- Sadar Bazaar Area: One of Delhi's oldest and biggest markets for those interested in buying bulk quantities of just about anything at all.
- Karol Bagh: Another area where you can find anything from jewellery, clothes to imported electronic goods.
- Jama Masjid Area: This is a popular hub among Muslim shoppers and tourists.
- Hauz Khas Area: A modern shopping area crammed with the latest fashions.
For a more detailed description of the various shopping hubs in Delhi, click here
Super and Hypermarkets
There are a number of supermarkets in India but the retail environment is not as advanced as in most parts of Europe. Hence, most big retail outlets like Carrefour etc are not present. In its place, a number of smaller supermarkets abound in various parts of the city. Some of the more popular supermarkets in the city are below.
For a complete listing of all supermarkets in Delhi, please click here
The recent economic boom in the city has resulted in a rash of upmarket malls that have popped up across the city. These malls carry most major designer brands and offer an international shopping environment. Below are some of the most famous malls in Delhi