Practical Life in Budapest

Childcare, Babysitting in Budapest

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Hungary > Budapest

Most expatriates will hire local domestic workers to help with babysitting and childcare. Hired women often provide a number of services in addition to child minding such as doing chores and cooking. Experience is preferred, but the childcare workers do not have to have children themselves. Child-minders must be registered and certified, but babysitters do no have to be.

Most childcare workers are Hungarian and are found through expat word-of-mouth and recommendations. Many expats find childcare workers through their embassy's newsletter or online forums.

If you are looking for a babysitter, the following tips can help facilitate the process:

  • Check with your local embassy. Many childcare workers place ads in their newsletters and weekly e-mails. Many of these workers are already experienced with other expats at the embassies.
  • Use your personal network by getting recommendations from other expats or friends.
  • Ask around popular expat locations such as popular restaurants, coffee houses, playgrounds, etc.
  • Use the EasyExpat Hungary forum to connect with other expats for advice and referrals.
  • Check out Great Au Pair for postings on babysitters, nannies and domestic help more broadly in Hungary. For more information on Au Pairs, refer to the earlier section under "Find a Job".
  • Make sure to interview several babysitters or nannies. Do not be afraid to ask many questions and ever have a trial period to see if they are the best fit for you and your family.


Prices can range depending on the experience of the childcare giver and their duties. The best way to determine a price is to discuss it with the childcare giver and pick a price that works best for the both of you. Most are paid by hour.

Childcare Facilities

Nurseries, kindergartens, and private childcare are the options available in Budapest. State-run nurseries are free of cost and most do not accept children until 2 or 3 years old depending on the nursery. This is because maternity leave in Hungary can last up to 3 years.

State, church, and foundation run kindergartens are free for children from 3 to 6 years old. Hiring a child-minder is another option for childcare but they must be registered and certified.


Babysitter's are generally employed for temporary work. Often a friend or relative is chosen to look after the children. Some child-minders also offer to babysit after hours.

How to Find a Sitter

Most families find a babysitter by word-of-mouth and letting friends and family know they are looking for one.

For more frequent childcare, you may consider an au pair. Consult the section on "Au Pair" under "Find a Job".

Update 25/08/2015


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers in Budapest
Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance in Hungary
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Hotels in Hungary
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about childcare, babysitting in Budapest, practical life.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).