Departure to Budapest

Passport, Visa & Permits to Budapest

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Hungary > Budapest

Your passport, visas & permits are one of the most important elements to sort out in your stay abroad. This travel documents ensure your ability to travel, work, and stay in Budapest.

Though this information has been carefully researched and presented, this section is intended for reference only. Regulations and requirements change frequently and we strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up-to-date information that pertains to your specific situation.


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The process and cost associated with getting a passport can be high, so start the process at least six months before you plan to leave.

In Hungary a passport valid for three months beyond the length of stay and issued within the past 10 years is required by all nationals listed in the chart above except EU nationals holding a passport or national ID card which is valid for the duration of stay.

If travelling from one border-free Schengen country to another however, EU nationals are not required to show a passport or national ID card. However, it is still recommended that you travel with your passport or ID card to prove your identity when necessary.

Visas in Hungary

A visa is a stamp or endorsement placed by officials on a passport that allows the bearer to enter the country. This permission is called "entry clearance".

Short stay visa

Short stay uniform visa authorizes its owner to a single, double or multiple entries to Hungary. This visa enables its holder to reside in Hungary during 90 days maximum within a 6-month period. Uniform visa applications have to be submitted to the competent Hungarian representations such as embassies and consulate in the country of origin.

Seasonal Employment Visa

Seasonal employment visa entitles the holder to single or multiple entries in case of employment for a period between three months and six months. The visa is valid for maximum one year. The applicant has to possess a seasonal work permit issued by the competent Hungarian Employment Office.

Long stay visa and residence permits

Foreign citizens from non-EU countries wishing to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days have to apply for a long-term residence permit prior to the traveling to Hungary. This visa entitles the applicant to enter Hungary in order to take over the residence permit is issued by the Hungarian Immigration Office and must be requested in the same application as the residence permit. This visa is valid for a one year and enables the applicant to enter Hungary once, for a period of 30 days.

Types and costs of Visas in Hungary

  • Short stay visa costs €60/£48.
  • Children below the age of 12 years and beneficiaries of bilateral visa agreements have a visa cost of €35/£28.
  • Visas are free of charge for children under six years of age.

Hungarian Citizenship

Consider the following principles before applying for Hungarian citizenship:

  • The Hungarian citizenship law is based on the principles of jus sanguinis (right of blood), meaning that a person acquires Hungarian citizenship by birth from a parent who is a Hungarian citizen.
  • A Hungarian birth certificate proves only the fact of birth but NOT the Hungarian citizenship.
  • As citizenship laws don't have retroactive effect one may always have to refer to the law, which was in force at the date of his/her birth.
  • Dual citizenship is permitted under Hungarian Law.

Update 25/08/2015


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Hungary and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Budapest, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon