Moving in : Hong Kong

TV & Internet in Hong Kong

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong


The transmission standard in Hong Kong is PAL like in North America. No television license is required in Hong Kong. There are numerous English-language channels available and modern apartment blocks are often pre-installed with cable or Satellite Master Antenna (SMATV) provided by the management company. Therefore each apartment is able to receive free and pay channels without the need of a receiver.

There are two local terrestrial channels which broadcast in English:

  • ATV World, Asia Television Ltd
    81 Broadcast Drive, Kowloon
    Tel: 2992 8888
    Fax: 2338 0438
  • TVB Pearl - Television Broadcasts Limited
    TVB City, 77 Chun Choi Street, Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate, Kowloon
    Tel: 2335 9123


The main satellite TV provider is STAR TV and with Star TV's satellite channels include: Star World (entertainment), Star Movies, Sky News, Fox News, National Geographic, Channel V (music), Star Sports, ESPN.

8/F One Harbourfront, 18 Tak Fung Street, Hung Hom,
Tel: 2621 8888
Fax: 2621 8000


Hong Kong Cable TV's basic package includes: The Discovery Channel, National Geographic, Star Sports, ESPN, Cartoon Network, BBC World, CNN International, CNBC Hong Kong, Bloomberg TV. Premium channels include HBO, Cinemax and Star Movies.

Hong Kong Cable TV (Cable TV Tower)
9 Hoi Shing Road, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong
Tel: 2112 6868
Fax: 2112 7878
Web site:

And you have also:

Now Broadband TV
Tel: 1833 888 (Customer Services Hotline)


Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) is the public service broadcaster operating seven networks in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. RTHK runs 2 radio channels in English 24 hours a day:

Radio 3: Local and international news, discussions and easy-listening music on the following frequencies depending on location:

  • 567 AM
  • 1584 AM / 106.8 FM
  • 97.9 FM
  • 107.8 FM
  • Live online broadcast

Radio 4: The channel plays mainly classical music and some jazz on 97.6-98.9 FM

The BBC World Service is available around the clock via RTHK's Radio 6


Many land-line and mobile phone companies will offer Internet packages as well. For all subscriptions, as usual a passport or Hong Kong ID card is required, plus a proof of residence.

PCCW's broadband service is Netvigator.

Other Internet Service Providers are:

Update 8/04/2010


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Hong Kong and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about tv & internet in Hong Kong, moving in.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).