Find a Job in Frankfurt

Au Pair in Frankfurt

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Germany > Frankfurt

An au pair is in charge of taking care of the children. He or she will get food and accommodation provided by the family free of charge, and a small allowance in addition (sort of pocket money). The family must also allow the au pair her time off.
Most of the time, the main reason for coming to Frankfurt is: to learn German and get experience abroad. Indeed, au pairing is an ideal way to become fully involved in the German way of life! During the time off, the au pair is free for what she wants to do: learning German at school or being lazy in Frankfurt.
Au pairs are not professional child minders and will not be a qualified nanny. Au pairs should not be responsible for children under 2 years of age.

There is no set conditions to become an au pair in Frankfurt. However, one will probably prefer girls (it can be boys... but it's rare) between 18 and 27, citizens of the European Union (in order to avoid visa problems) and experience with children is likely to be demanded.
The minimum is 2 months and the au pair cannot stay more than 2 years.

What the au pair must know

She will have to take care of the children, i.e. :

  • speak the language, at least enough to understand and talk,
  • be sure they get up on time; dress them; make sure they get dressed themselves,
  • take them to school/nursery/activity classes...,
  • play with them,
  • be in charge of their meals,
  • tidy up their rooms,
  • be free to baby-sit them if needed, some evenings.

What the family has to do

The family has to welcome the au pair in thinking that she is not an employee but a home help for the children. Therefore they will make sure:

  • the au pair must have her own bedroom,
  • the au pair will work to a maximum of 25-35 hours per week She should have minimum 2 days (2 x 24 hours) off during the week (make available the au-pair's agreed free time and days off ),
  • they understand that having an au pair doesn't mean someone who is going to do the housework, the dishes....etc. However au pairs may be asked to do some housework, especially related to the children,
  • the family pay an allowance (pocket money) each week (usually about 60€ per week),
  • it may be good to register the au pair at the family GP. She must also be registered on the house insurance.

Some addresses...

If you want to register as an au pair or as a family, you can contact:

You can also consult:

Usually agencies will ask registration fees from the family, the au pair or both.

Update 4/10/2005


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Germany and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.




New website: Families and Au-pairs Babysitters Tutors - Free
ABC - Families, a new kind of childcare
Au Pairs / Nannies / Babysitters and Tutors listing

We have many approved families looking for au pairs in France + Europe.

ABC - Families is new childcare website based in South of France, covering all of Europe.

Message for candidate :
Before to apply, you need cv, references and pictures.

We are NOT a database, all our applicants are approved by us.
References are mandatory and are throughly checked.

We are French/English/Spanish speaking company.

We look forward to working with you.

FREE to register :

ABC-Families, a new kind of childcare.



Au pair visas
If the aupair is not American, EU national, Liechtensteiner, or Swiss, a residence and work permit for Germany is required. Aupair must apply for the residence permit at the German embassy or consulate. This permit is the visa and restricted to one year. It is granted only once to the same person and can't be extended.
Members of the European Union have the possibility to stay for extra 8 to 10 months. In every case, the visa is first granted for 3 months and then extended to one year. To apply for a visa, aupair needs a letter of invitation from the host family. This is a contract of employment with the host family. Au pair should also be registered with an approved agency.

Local authority for foreigners for the host family's area must approve the residence permit request before the visa application. After that, the work permit is given by the locally labor office. Au pairs from out of the European Union need a valid passport for entry. Citizens 0f the European Union need a valid identity card for their stay.

If you need to find an au pair or an au pair job anywhere in the world or need more information, visit

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about au pair in Frankfurt, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).