At Work in Prague

Social Security in Prague

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Czech Republic > Prague

The social security system in the Czech Republic seeks to provide for all of its citizens. The Czech Social Security Administration (CSSA) administers these programs. Most information can be found at their website, but you can also contact their main office in charge of social security:
Address: Trojska 1997/13a, 182 00 Praha 8
Telephone: +420 283 104 111
Fax: +420 257 322 104

    The system itself is built on three pillars:
  • Compulsory social insurance (which covers sickness benefits, unemployment benefits and pension insurance)
  • State social support (covers the costs of basic personal needs of children and families)
  • Social assistance (provides services to those in need)

The social security contribution is automatically deducted from a worker's salary. Employers also pay social insurance for their employees. People who work freelance pay 28% of their declared monthly earnings.


EU citizens are obliged to contribute. The Czech Republic is part of an EU-wide reciprocal system.

If you are a non-EU citizen, you may not need to pay if your home country does not have a social security arrangement with the Czech Republic. Consult the local branch of the Czech social security authority (Ceska sprava socialniho zabezpecen) or with your consulate to find out what you should do.


The company you work for should make the arrangements of registering you and contributions will be automatically deducted from your salary. This paperwork will probably be discussed and signed at the same time as the employment contract.

Additional Benefits


There are special provisions for pregnant workers. Maternity leave entitles workers to 28 weeks. For multiple births, more time can be taken off, up to 37 weeks. During this time, workers on leave receive about 69% of their average monthly income.

Parental leave may also be granted. It can be taken by either mother or father until the child reaches the age of three.

There is also a birth grant that aids low-income families (one time) to cover costs related to the birth of their first child. Families are entitled to the birth grant provided the family income in the calendar quarter prior to the birth of the child does not exceed 2.4 times the family's living minimum. The birth grant is about 13,000 Kc.

Housing Allowance

Property owners or tenants registered as permanently resident in that property are entitled to a housing allowance if 30% (35% in the city of Prague) if family income is insufficient to cover housing costs. The housing costs are set as average housing costs based on the size of the municipality and the number of members of the household. Consult the Social Security office if you believe you qualify.

Update 27/01/2011


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Czech Republic and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about social security in Prague, at work.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).