Departure to Prague

Customs and import to Prague

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Czech Republic > Prague

The Czech Customs Administration seeks to protect and regulate the domestic market and to ensure that imported goods do not endanger the lives or health of persons, fauna or flora. A tax will not be imposed on imports of goods of non-commercial nature, that is, goods designated for personal use by the importing persons or as a gift for private persons.

When entering the Czech republic, and thus the EU, you will be asked to declare certain goods purchased abroad and pay duty on the amount exceeding that country's allowance. There are usually two lines at a point of entry: To Declare and Nothing to Declare. People are randomly selected out of the "Nothing to Declare" line and their goods are inspected. If found to be importing illegally, harsh fines will be imposed.

    Permissible Imports for non-EU citizens:
  • Tobacco products - 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Alcohol - 1 liter of spirits over 22 % vol. or 2 liters of fortified wine or sparkling wine 2 liters of still wine or 16 liters of beer
  • Perfume - 50 Grams
  • Eau de toilette - 250 ml
  • Other goods- Up to a value of 430 Euro (150 euro for individuals under 15)
    Additional Permissible Imports for EU citizens:
  • Tobacco products - 800 cigarettes, 400 cigarillos (max. 3g each), 200 cigars and 1kg of smoking tobacco
  • Alcohol - 10 liters of spirits over 22% and ethyl alcohol, 20 liters of alcoholic beverages less than 22%, 90 liters of wine (though no more than 60 liters of sparkling wine) and 110 liters of beer
    Restricted Imports:
  • Products of animal origin- meat, meat products, milk and milk products
  • Animal or plants- wildlife animals or plants
  • Drugs
  • Medicines
  • Weapons
  • Explosive Material
  • Pornographic Materials
  • Currency over 10,000 euros


Many people want to bring their pet with them on their travels and while that is entirely possible, it does require some planning and preparation.

    Acceptable pets include:
  • Dogs
  • Cats
  • Ferrets
  • Invertebrates (except bees and crustaceans)
  • Ornamental tropical fish
  • Amphibia
  • Reptiles
  • Birds (all species except poultry)
  • Rodents
  • Domestic rabbits

Entry may be refused if the animal is not in good health. Pets may enter as passenger's checked baggage, in the cabin or as cargo.

Documentation Necessary

Veterinary Certificate - obtainable form the consulate. Must be completed and signed by the veterinarian. The certificate is valid for 4 months, or until the expiration date of the vaccination against rabies.

    What should be included:
  • date and signature of the veterinarian
  • that a period between the date of issue of the certificate and the date of arrival to the Czech Republic is less than 4 months
  • that the certificate is on 1 sheet of paper (page 1 on front site, page 2 on back site)
  • that the certificate is completed in all parts except parts V., VI. and VII (the rabies serological test, a tick treatment and an echinococcus treatment are no longer necessary)
The original veterinary certificate needs to be presented with the animal at the Czech Republic's point of import.

Microchip or tattoo - to verify pets identity. All microchips conforming to the ISO standards are easily readable in the Czech Republic.

Vaccination against rabies - Every pet older than 3 months must be vaccinated against rabies. The pet must be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before arrival to the Czech Republic. However the vaccination can not be older than 12 months from the date of arrival to the Czech Republic.

Address further questions to the State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic (e-mail:

Custom's resources

U.S. Citizens: The free pamphlet "Know Before You Go" at is very helpful. (Click on "Travel" and then click on "Know Before You Go! Online Brochure").
You can also contact:
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
1300 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20229
Tel. 877/287-8667

Canadian Citizens: "I Declare", issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500 ) is helpful.

U.K. Citizens: HM Customs & Excise at tel. 0845/010-9000 (from outside the U.K., 020/8929-0152) can help.

Australian Citizens: A helpful brochure is available from Australian consulates or Customs offices called "Know Before You Go". Call the Australian Customs Service at tel. 1300/363-263, or log on to

Update 27/01/2011


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Czech Republic and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about customs and import to Prague, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).