EEA1- Registration Certificate (EEA or Swiss nationals and their EEA or Swiss family members)
The registration certificate is a document that confirms a right of residence under European law. You do not need to have a registration certificate to enter, live in or work in the UK.
If you are a national of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia, you cannot apply for a registration certificate until you have completed 12 months's continuous employment in the UK.
Necessary documents must be originals. Any documents which are not in English must be accompanied by a reliable English translation.
Applications must include:
- Valid identity card or passport issued by a country in the EEA or Switzerland
- Two identical passport-size photographs of yourself with your full name written on the back of each one. If a family member is applying with you, they must also include two identical passport-size photographs
- If section 3 (employment) has been completed, contract(s) of employment, letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming
- your employment or your most recent wage slips should be provided. These should feature a full national insurance number rather than a temporary one.
- If section 4 (self-employment) has been completed, evidence must be produced, such as a lease on business premises, Construction Industry Scheme card, Inland Revenue self-assessment forms, bank statements, invoices or national Insurance contributions.
- If section 5 (students) has been completed, a school, college or university letter confirming enrollment on a course of study and giving the completion date of the course; evidence of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance and evidence of funds available to you such as a bank statement or a document confirming the receipt of a grant or scholarship
- If section 6 (economically self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated) has been completed, evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance and of funds to show you are economically self-sufficient, eg a bank statement.
If the application is accepted, a certificate will be issued. The certificate is good for 5 years.