At Work in Stockholm

Unemployment Benefits in Stockholm

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Sweden > Stockholm

The vast majority of Swedish employees are unionised and are affiliated to an unemployment insurance fund through their union. Aside from this there are two social insurance plans in Sweden: the voluntary programme and the basic. The voluntary program covers all employed and self-employed persons under the age of 65 and involves paying a membership fee of about 150 kronor per month. Should you lose your job and you’re subscribed to the voluntary scheme you’ll receive 80% of your previous income to a maximum of 730 kronor a day for the first 100 days of the benefit period, 680 kronor a day thereafter. The benefit is payable for up to 300 days per benefit period and is paid for 5 days a week. The basic program is for employees and persons seeking employment between 20 and 65 that are ineligible for the voluntary programme. There is no membership fee for the basic program and the maximum benefit is 320 kronor a day. Note that unemployment benefits are subject to taxation.

In order to qualify for benefits your must register as a jobseeker at the public employment service and be able and willing to accept a suitable job for at least 3 hours per day, and at an average of 17 hours per week. Should you decide to quit a job for personal reasons, if you’re dismissed for misconduct, or if you refuse a suitable job or training, your benefit will be suspended for 20 to 60 days. In order to be eligible to claim benefit you must have been employed for a minimum of 6 months (working at least 70 hours per month), or for at least 450 hours during a continuous 6-month period during the last 12 months before becoming unemployed.

As a student you can claim basic unemployment benefit if you don’t fulfil the main conditions above, have finished at least one year of full-time study, and have been registered as a jobseeker for at least 90 days within the 10 months following the end of your studies.

If you are a relative of someone who has died you may be eligible for social insurance benefits, namely child pension, adjustment pension and widow’s pension.

Update 15/05/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Sweden and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about unemployment benefits in Stockholm, at work.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).