At Work in Tokyo

Unemployment Benefits in Tokyo

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Japan > Tokyo

Unemployed workers who have previously been in continuous employment for at least six months (twelve months for part-time workers) with the same employer are entitled to receive the benefits of unemployment insurance.

The Employment Insurance system was created as a way to support workers should they find themselves without a job, as well as to assist them financially as they search for new employment.

All employers are obliged to enrol their employees in this system. This insurance system is also available to foreign workers who are in possession of visas that carry no restrictions on their professional activities in Japan, unless you are employed outside of Japan or draw unemployment benefit from another country.

For more details you can consult Hello Work or the local Public Employment Security Office.

Update 20/03/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Japan and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about unemployment benefits in Tokyo, at work.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).