At Work in Tokyo

Pension plans in Tokyo

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Japan > Tokyo

As a foreign worker in Japan, if you are between twenty and sixty years of age, you have to subscribe to the national pension plan.

There are two types of plan: the standard plan (kokumin nenkin) and the employee's pension insurance plan (kousei nenkin).

How much you will have to contribute will depend on your profession. If you’re self-employed, or work in agriculture or the forestry industry, you’re in category one, which means monthly payments of about 13,000 yen. Basically everyone else is in category two and must pay seventeen percent of his salary, of which your employer covers half.

You can get more information from your local ward office, or from the Social Insurance Agency website:

Update 20/03/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Japan and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about pension plans in Tokyo, at work.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).