At Work in Sydney

Pension plans in Sydney

Home > Expat Guides > Oceania > Australia > Sydney

The Australian pension scheme is called 'Superannuation'. It is a compulsory plan to which both the employer and the employee contribute(8% of your salary) .The same applies if you are an employee with a working holiday visa.

The money is rolled into a fund and you can benefit from it only from 65 yearsof age if you are a citizen or permanent resident. Be careful if you work for various employees over several years, make sure your money goes into only one fund (otherwise it will be spread across funds and you will pay fees for each fund).

For the non- permanent resident who has worked temporarily Australia and is leaving for good, you may be able to recuperate your contributions. Go to for more information.

Update 29/04/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Australia and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about pension plans in Sydney, at work.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).