Moving in : Sydney

Gas, Electricity, Water in Sydney

Home > Expat Guides > Oceania > Australia > Sydney


On the day before the move, take a final reading of your natural gas meter, and go on the site of AGL:, main supplier in Australia.

Don't forget to have your details ready together with your new address and they will forward your final account to you. Alternatively, you may settle your account by credit card over the phone. For more information, you can call AGL - 131 707


Electricity is de-regulated in Australia so you have a choice between different providers. Having said that it seems to work by area rather than being truly competitive.

In Sydney you will have the choice between:


Water is paid by owners so if you rent, you shouldn't worry about a water bill. Just in case, here is the phone number for Sydney Water : 13 20 92

Update 15/10/2013


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Australia and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.




Moving Electricity Suppliers
Don't forget about Western Australia's largest electricity suppleir - Synergy (



Getting power & gas connected
In most states of Australia you now have a choice of electricity and gas supplier. Victoria is the most competitive state with around a dozen suppliers competing for your custom.

Prices are still capped in all parts of Australia except Victoria but nonetheless some suppliers offer a range of discounts to encourage you to join so it's worth comparing providers' prices.

If you are moving in to a house then you usually need to give 3-4 business days' notice to get your power connected.

You can read more about your options here:

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about gas, electricity, water in Sydney, moving in.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).