Find a Job in Sydney

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Sydney

Home > Expat Guides > Oceania > Australia > Sydney

Today companies are looking for international profiles and a stay in Sydney allows you:

  • to acquire a diploma foreign
  • to acquire a professional experience or a personal experience
  • to discover another culture. 

Now is the time to prepare for your summer job experience abroad.
In order to help you to find a job for an experience abroad, we have selected a few organisations for each of the themes below.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

The following sites specialise in summer jobs and for backpackers:
Coast Shop:
Travellers at work:
Backpacking Around:
Go Harvest:
Travellers Contact Point:

The formalities / Visa

Visa requirements are crucial to planning your trip .

This section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up to date info.

If you are not an Australian or New Zealand passport holder you will require a visa to enter Australia and work. The following two companies provide visas:

  • The Australian site of the immigration. You will find all the information and necessary forms to obtain a visa.
  • Visas Australia company provides visas for travellers intending to visit Australia.
  • BUNAC helps you to get your work visa through work abroad programmes suitable for gap years and summer vacations.

You will find a lot of information with BUNAC (British Universities North America Club:, a non profit member club which has been offering work abroad programmes suitable for gap years and summer vacations for over 40 years. Programmes include in-country support and last up to 18 months. They offer money to cover all expenses and a samll salary for the work.
It covers the following countries: UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ghana, Holland, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden.

You will find also a list of organisation that offer voluntary programmes and gap year in the Gapyeardirectory website.

There are various types of visa which allow you to work in Australia. Know first of all that, as in most countries, a tourist visa is generally valid for a duration of three months by default (extendable for 6 months, renewable once) and does not authorize to exercise a paid activity in Australia. Only certain types of voluntary work (such as humanitarian) are authorized.

  • Working Holiday Visa

Reserved for young people (18-30 years), this allows you to stay for twelve months in Australia while working to finance your stay. This visa authorizes you to work for different employers for successive periods of three months. You must have no dependant children and must possess enough money to live on before receiving your first pay. This visa is not renewable.

  • Student visa

Allows you to work 20 hours a week during the academic year and up to 40 h a week during the holidays. You must be registered in an Australian university and have the approval of the Australian Department of Immigration.

  • Occupational training visa

The application procedure for this visa can be long (three to six weeks) and the company must agree to sponsor the trainee.

  • Sponsorship visa

Delays to acquire this visa vary from three to six weeks. The company must agree to sponsor the person and make the application.

Discount Cards

A youth card or student card can offer you a lot of advantages abroad and is recognition of your status. Two international cards will give you discounts and are essential for those taking a gap year or going backpacking:

What the Cards offer:

  • Valuable discounts on air, travel, bus and ferry, transport and accomodation (gap year backpacking discounts).
  • Access to over 33,000 discounts in over 100 countries.
  • Reduced admission to museums, galleries and historic states.
  • Access to student travel organisations in over 90 countries.
  • 24 hour emergency, legal and medical help line services.
  • Basic sickness and accident travel insurance.

You can apply directly online to get the cards ( or buy asking your University or youth centres

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Update 29/04/2008


Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Australia and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Sydney, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).